Mail issue that's driving me insane

• 13 Replies

Paddy

• View Profile
Mail issue that's driving me insane
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
On my MBP (not on the iMac) every time I try to send out email with my primary Rogers address, it chooses an SMTP entry that is "offline" or otherwise nonfunctional. It's in the dropdown list of servers when I actually go to send the mail (again) but it is NOT in the actual list of SMTP servers if I attempt to edit SMTP servers. I have no idea how it got there nor how to remove it - it's like some sort of phantom. I've looked at the plists and can't see anything obvious.

I'd rather not delete the entire account and start over if there is another way (it's huge...it will take a long time to rebuild - time I don't really have right now). So any suggestions that are simpler would be welcome.

The other wacky thing Mail is doing sometimes is this: I start an email, with the "from" address set to my primary email addy, and by the time I've finished typing, it has magically switched it to one of the other 14 email addresses I have in Mail, and then it refuses to send it with that email addy (though that email addy is working too - but it seems to have difficulty associating the SMTP settings with the email address, no matter how often I tell it to use a setting). So once again - I have to go and edit it.  :-\

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mail issue that's driving me insane
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »
I've had this sort of thing happen to me before and trying to remember how I resolved it ... I didn't do a full on nuke of anything, I think maybe I did the thing where you remove the list of all previous recipients or something similar, and then edited the SMTP server list.  As for the changing the from email I think that's a bug, it might change it if the last email you viewed was from that account.

mose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
Not sure???  But I remember having this and it was a Keychain file issue?????
Yep, been here way before all y'all ...

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
But the problem is...the SMTP server list I can edit, is NOT the same as the much longer one in the "pick an outgoing server" list. However, I'll try removing the previous recipients (it's handy, but not a deal breaker) to see if it changes what shows up there.

I will have a look at the Keychain too - might be something there. Was the issue you had the wrong email showing up in the "from" field, Mose, or the SMTP list having non-functioning options? The two issues are on two different computers, which I didn't really make clear. ;)

As for the last email viewed - nope. It picks email addresses I rarely use. The bad thing is occasionally it picks one that's working fine and I don't notice it - and so I end up with replies from whoever I emailed to that email addy's inbox and not where I would like it to be, scattering conversations all over the place. And then people sometimes use that email addy for a new email to me...

I have different email addresses for different purposes...it seems my Mac is determined to screw that up. :p

mose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
It seemed to be a corrupt SMTP setting - possibly password related and by dumping a certain file it vanished --- sorry can't remember now???

Also the Ports always befuddled me.

Rogers used to switch the recommended ports more often than I switched ... lets not go there.

I HATE cable internet. Full stop.

Did multiple tests side beside Bell/Rogers (Roommate had Rogers (cause she did work for them) I had Bell cause I used to do work for Rogers!!!! LOL

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
I've now deleted every single SMTP and IMAP (anything connected with Rogers/Yahoo) in Keychain and that rogue SMTP option is still there in the send with window.... GRRRR. I edited the SMTP list and deleted the one that was there - of course it was the one that worked. So put a working one back in there and named it differently, so at least I can TELL which one is which. But why can I not get rid of the non-working one, and all the rest of the non-working out of date SMTP options in that list? I'm beginning to wonder if a nuke and pave of Mail isn't going to have to be done sooner or later. :(

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
It would be too bad if you had to do a nuke and pave, sometimes that doesn't always garentee it will solve it.

Used to have smtp problems until I discovered that my webhosts had smtp service and I could get around the rogers stupidity.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
Yeah - I'm considering using my email addresses connected to my website instead of fighting this Rogers/Yahoo silliness. (and it's Yahoo, not Rogers, really - and it's always been buggy/problematic, IMHO) The main problem is that my primary email addy is one I've been using for 10 years, and I hate changing it.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
Oh yeeeeaaaahhh.... the rogers/yahoo thing, make that change if you can. I understand not wanting to change though, but it's horrible. And they'll never fix it. Ever.

I'm using iCloud email for personal right now. Not sure if that's wise, but it works damn well.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
Did you see this article today?

http://www.macworld.com/article/3184069/security/hackers-threaten-to-wipe-millions-of-apple-devices-demand-ransom.html#tk.rss_all

Apple isn't commenting - so no idea if these idiots are a credible threat* or not, but I changed my Apple/iCloud PW just to be on the safe side. ;)

(I find it a bit ludicrous that someone would try to demand a ransom of Apple of only $150K. Really? Go big or go home... ;) )

mose

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
If you want to get a standalone account rather than one attached to your URL GMAIL allows you to forward accounts though them ... you could get all your Rogers/YAhoo to a new GMAIL account and in a signature tell folks to update their address books for ya

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
Yes, could try that too, Mose. I already have several Gmail accounts...

It's too bad that Google no longer provides emails to ISPs. Guess they figure they don't need to do it (they stopped doing it in 2015). Most seem to use Outlook or Yahoo (equally awful, IMHO) - nobody seems to offer their own mail system any more either.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:01:40 AM »
I haven't used an ISP email address since 1997 and I don't miss it :)

mose

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 12:09:44 AM »
Interesting, eh?

I know lots of folks in the same boat - but I have more URLs than I have had hot meals - really tough to just ignore them????