Canadian politics

• 1768 Replies

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian politics
« Reply #1755 on: January 29, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
If ford was successful in this at all, it’ll be one hell of a mudslinger and he won’t be able to control himself. That, will be a huge gift to wynne, because she’ll easily cast him as trump lite. The far right ones will love it, but Ontario is very red Tory. Something the far right can never fathom, which is exactly why the liberals have been in office way past their due date.

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #1756 on: January 29, 2018, 10:04:20 PM »
Hate to say it, but if the Conservatives are in sufficient disarray - and if the Liberals can't successfully rebrand themselves as a fresh-faced(!) solution for Ontario, Ford can still win. These past four days or so the Conservative party is showing neither coherency nor solvency. They had best get their acts together right quick. It might be a terrible fluke, but Ford could conceivably take the prize. His party seems pretty badly splintered and disorganized at the moment.

Still, it's a good thing that Doug has entered into the fray. It's going to be entertaining, if nothing else, and it will scare the complacency out of the field of candidates. Everyone's going to have to work hard at defining just what it is they stand for. Certainly an interesting development. The Liberals had better not get complacent, either. With this kind of nascent, fast-unfolding mess, anything can happen.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: January 30, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
Possibly. But one thing to keep in mind, Doug Ford isn’t his brother. Dougie is a total bully and never seems to be able to contain himself, and he’ll be his own worst enemy. He lacks the likability factor his brother rob had.

That said, we could be in for a one term ford nightmare again, but besides the shrunken ‘ford nation’ vote rich Toronto may be a little more hesitant to hold their nose to vote out the liberals if ford was the choice.

At least I would hope so. After the nightmare of rob ford, and watching trump down south, I have to believe ontario might be more interested in a moderate PC candidate.

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #1758 on: January 30, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
Agreed! Just pointing out that it's a pretty wild situation right now - nothing if not fluid. Doug Ford is really his own worst enemy and I really can't see him connecting with most Ontarian women (and a good portion of males too)... he's too blustery and charmless old school. Stop the war on the car! Respect for taxpayers! It's not as if he's got a fresh perspective, it's just the same baked-in platform.

Sure, it's not unlike Trump's own platform, but I don't see Ford's chances of winning equating to Trump's admittedly astonishing feat. Doug has simply too much baggage; Ford Nation will doubtless feel a kind of bovine loyalty to him, but no one else will suffer that obligation.
______

Max

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #1759 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
Just when we thought Kathleen Wynne was done, eh?

Hard to say how Doug will play. He's a bully, unlike his brother. But he's sober, unlike his brother.

I'm hearing that the PCs are scrambling for a candidate who can beat Doug. I can see him playing well--especially in this rushed leadership election--within the PC party itself, even if he's less likely to do well in the election. The Ontario Liberal party is a campaign machine.... everyone was sick of the party at least 2 elections ago, and yet, still here....

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #1760 on: February 01, 2018, 06:10:40 AM »
I imagine the majority of Ontarians are likely tired of Kathleen Wynne, but we just might be seeing more of her all the same. This coming election is also a chance for the NDP to take advantage of this mess and make their own gains - split the left vote, at any rate - maybe thereby giving the PCs what they need to win? I dunno. Pure speculation at this point. Much depends on whom they select to run.

Meanwhile, the PCs are charging a lot for anyone wishing to jump into the leadership campaign. Not for the faint of heart, this business.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 01, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
Doug Ford this morning boasted that the province controls the purse strings in reference to Toronto, so you just know he’s looking for some revenge on John Tory. So if he gets in, look out for some serious fireworks between those two. I suspect Tory will take the high road on that one.

I have also heard the PC party is loathe to have ford lead them, they know full well that a drama filled campaign with a ford is the last thing they need. What the PCs need is a moderate that can appeal to the center, and I suspect the far right just can’t see this. Which is why they keep losing...

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »
A made in Canada solution where breaking the law is one sided. Prime Minister Trudeau was found to have broken the law when he vacationed on private Caribbean Island but not the organization or individual offering the   bribe  Inducement.

Where did we hear this   bull$#¡+  oxymoron before...oh yes Mr. Duffy and Mr. Wright and the ninety thousand dollar cheque wasn't it?u

Well at least some thing is being done about these latest shenanigans by Democracy Watch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-agakhan-bahamas-lobbying-1.4522296

Quote from: CBCNews
Democracy Watch is calling on the Federal Court to overturn former lobbying commissioner Karen Shepherd's decision not to investigate the Aga Khan in connection with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's visit to his private island in the Bahamas.

The group is arguing that Shepherd erred in law when she ruled in September 2017 that the Aga Khan didn't violate the lobbying rules because he is not paid to lobby on behalf of the foundation that bears his name.

"Democracy Watch is challenging the Lobbying Commissioner's ruling in court, because it is legally incorrect, violates the spirit and purpose of the Lobbyists' Code of Conduct and opens up a huge loophole that big businesses and other organizations will exploit by having their unregistered board members or staff do favours for, and give gifts to, government officials they are lobbying as a way of unethically influencing their policy making decisions," Democracy Watch co-founder Duff Conacher said in a statement.

Democracy Watch also alleges in court documents that there is "a reasonable apprehension of bias" on Shepherd's part, because her mandate was temporarily renewed by Trudeau's government.

Shepherd's decision not to investigate the Aga Khan was obtained by CBC News in December. She has since finished her term and was replaced by Nancy Bélanger in December.

The Aga Khan, believed to be one of the wealthiest individuals in the world, is the spiritual leader of millions of Ismaili Muslims and is listed as a member of the board of directors of the Aga Khan Foundation Canada.

The foundation, which has received millions of dollars in federal government development aid over the years, is registered to lobby several federal government departments, including the prime minister's office.

A search of the lobbyist registry shows the foundation has filed 132 reports since 2011 outlining its meetings with government decision makers. However, none of those reports list any meetings with Trudeau — despite the meetings the prime minister has had with the Aga Khan and his officials.

Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson ruled in December that Trudeau violated federal ethics rules when he accepted the vacation on the Aga Khan's private island.

In December, Manon Dion, spokeswoman for the lobbying commissioner's office, said the commissioner is free to open or reopen files at any time.
Tuesday, she was tight-lipped when asked for reaction.

"The Lobbyists' Code of Conduct applies to individuals who engage in activity requiring registration under the Lobbying Act; that is, they are paid or employed to communicate with public office holders on behalf of their client or employer with respect to subjects specified in the Lobbying Act," she wrote in an e-mailed response.

"As the matter is before the courts, we will not comment further."

*My Bold added
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:05:39 AM by MeAtMac DotCalm »

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 07, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
Trudeau’s arrogance is going to bite him in the backside.

Hard.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 07, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »
It seem PM Trudeau has stepped over a line. He is being mocked on social media and traditional media, around the world. This is the worst fate for any hip and happening jet setting politician.

He is taking a page from Cadet Bone Spur's playbook declaring his comments "a joke."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-peoplekind-bad-joke-1.4524233

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says using the word "peoplekind" instead of "mankind" during a town hall in Edmonton last week was his failed attempt at humour.

Trudeau has been mocked on social media and talk shows since using the word.
Before holding a Liberal caucus meeting on Parliament Hill today, Trudeau told reporters he doesn't necessarily have the best track record on jokes.

"I made a dumb joke a few days ago that seems to have gone a little viral in the room, on the peoplekind comment," he said. "It played well in the room and in context. Out of context it doesn't play so well, and it's a little reminder that I shouldn't be making jokes even when I think they're funny."

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 07, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
honestly, this is just stupid. If this is what people are going to freak out about or mock him about, then seriously, count me out of that one.

There's far bigger issues than this nonsense, really.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
I agree with importance of "peoplekind" but the children see the social media importance which I find funny.

Saw Trudeau speech in Chicago (live) tonight and interview with David Axelrod on CBCNews Network. Trudeau is in his element such events. Reminded me of a good TED Talk.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 07, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
He annoys me a lot, he really does. But I have seen this worked over on Facebook over and over and I have to say look, if this is all we have to whine about, man. Consider south of the border! We could have Andrew sheer as PM...

You want to see stupid??? :) his first line will be, hold my beer...

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »
The Media have to keep us 'engaged' or they cease to exist.  Something on the order of sharks never sleeping.

Do I care about the Aga Khan?  Not a whit.  The big boys in this world will always play their games.  The telling part is the situation they leave behind for the rest of us.
Volunteering enriches your Life.