• View Profile
Re: American politics
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

Yow. And this seems to be a bipartisan agreement!

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
so, apparntly John Kerry said one can't s=act as though you =were from the 19th century and invade a country without a good reason.

Iraq anyone? ;)

in other news, John Baird announced that Canada would not be intervening militarily, in what is likely the most unessecary headline here, probably, ever.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »
This is quite incredible. Dick Cheney's recent loud criticism of Obama's planned cuts to the military, is much like his assertion that the recent incident in Benghazi was the 'worst disaster in hi career'.

I've seen these gems trotted out a number of times, it seems Cheney and supporters have very short memories.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/27/1280781/-Dick-Cheney-now-vs-Dick-Cheney-then#

Cheney, he of much much larger military cuts in the Reagan years. I find it almost fascinating, that people like him, or those trotting this stuff out could possibly think cuts of over 20% was any less of a problem.

bryanc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
Do not underestimate the ability of ideological conservatives to ignore reality; I genuinely think this explains the alliance of the corporatist-anti-tax-nuts and the religious-nuts on the far right.  If you can deal with the cognitive dissonance necessary to believe that there's an invisible policeman in the sky who will send anyone who breaks His rules to burn in anguish for all eternity... but He loves you... then you can also believe that cutting taxes for corporations makes jobs, that taking guns off the streets increases violence, that putting peaceful pot smokers in jail is necessary for public safety, that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, and that allowing a handful of plutocrats to control the majority of all the wealth on earth is good for society.

They're simply insane.  Unfortunately, they vote.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
Do not underestimate the ability of ideological conservatives to ignore reality; I genuinely think this explains the alliance of the corporatist-anti-tax-nuts and the religious-nuts on the far right.  If you can deal with the cognitive dissonance necessary to believe that there's an invisible policeman in the sky who will send anyone who breaks His rules to burn in anguish for all eternity... but He loves you... then you can also believe that cutting taxes for corporations makes jobs, that taking guns off the streets increases violence, that putting peaceful pot smokers in jail is necessary for public safety, that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, and that allowing a handful of plutocrats to control the majority of all the wealth on earth is good for society.

They're simply insane.  Unfortunately, they vote.

And research supports the religion/right-wing connection. http://religions.pewforum.org/portraits (click on the Political and Social Views->Select a Tradition. Pretty interesting, although they don't include atheists. (Unaffiliated isn't quite the same). There certainly aren't many Republican Muslims, Jews, Hindus or Buddhists, or from the "Historically Black Churches," so the association seems to be chiefly a white Christian phenomena, and a fundamentalist one at that. I'm not sure how they broke down the categories to decide where to put black fundamentalist churches, of course. :p
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:31:46 PM by Paddy »

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
I find the old white christian fundamentalism in US politics really disturbing.

I want to make the distinction though, from good christians, who don't engage in the kind of things the old white republican (and some democrat it seems...) religious fanatics hell bent on enforcing their dogma on the general public through incredibly backwards and regressive laws.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile

i-rui

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
lol

was just about to post that.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
http://dailycurrant.com/2014/03/18/putin-tops-2016-republican-poll/

uh, wow. Just... wow.

EDIT: to clarify this.

Alright, watch this JS episode, specifically from about fish minute mark. (maybe closer to 4:15) and check out the compilation of the right wing media gushing about Putin vs Obama.
http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/Shows/TheDailyShow?videoPackage=143427   (march 6th episode in case this doesn't work)
Suddenly, that satire doesn't seem, like satire anymore ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:06:14 PM by Groovetube »

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
Our morning dose of satire!
Ars est celare artem •  The Doug Photography

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
ha ha. Now, if you saw a recent Jon Stewart episode, where he highlighted all the praise the right was heaping on Putin, which echoed all of this article pretty much, it seems a lot less like satire!  ;D

I'll try to find the clip.

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Plagiarism???

I actually have this little bugger, from my insurance adjuster days.   ;)
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
sorry, completely bungled post. I should have paired it with the jon stewart clip with was a compilation of all the right wing media's high praise of Putin and his "strong leadership" (not satire...) with the daily current one, which of course is a satire site.

It's rather startling the similarities between real, and this. I'll fix later when I get some time.