Canadian politics

• 1707 Replies

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
Re: Canadian politics
« Reply #1695 on: August 17, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
Here is the link to the "Power Pod" podcast that I mention yesterday https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/power-and-politics/id337361397?mt=2

Also on tonight's edition of Power and politics it was announced that Andrew Scheer  the new Conservative leader is not going to do any more interviews on the Rebel platform. It only took 5 days to take a stand on the matter, is he like Trump that is"Andy" wanted all the facts to be in before taking a stand?

Quote from: CBCNews
Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer won't grant further interviews to Rebel Media if the outlet's editorial direction remains "as it is," he said at an event for supporters in British Columbia on Wednesday evening.

Here's the story http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-rebel-interviews-1.4251070

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »
5 days. If it took that long to distance himself from what is quite clearly racist media site, you can safely assume this con leader has racist leanings himself.

It may have flown stateside, but thankfully, lets remember the damage to harpers campaign when he had the burka crap and the various racist initiatives they tried to pull.

There may be a good number of racists in this country, certainly if you look around social media and other forums where there are those who are engaging in the same false equivalency between the white supremists/nazis and those who are anti facist... but they are the minority in this country and it will all of us who won't stand for it to speak up and make sure we VOTE to keep those racist jackboots out of office.

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #1697 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
Taking a moment to step away from the various dumpster fires and disasters....

NDP Leadership race is going to a vote soon. Anyone with thoughts on the candidates?

I'm not very familiar with most; Jagmeet Singh is the one I recognize best, and I suspect he will be a very interesting leader in that he seems most likely to draw people away from Justin Trudeau (not to mention shining a light on those pockets of mean, ignorant racists in Canada who figure any turban is a danger) but I'm not sure how well he plays inside the party.

From my (very outside) view, Charlie Angus appears to be old guard NDP, and Guy Caron is running on "I can take Quebec." Niki Ashton is hampered by the same old issue of many women in politics: if she's serious, she's slammed for not being personable and likeable, and if she's personable and likeable, she's slammed for not being serious. (Looks like she chose Category A.)

But this is my uninformed, outside the party view. Curious how those following the race more closely see it.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
I like Charlie Angus, he has articulated his positions the best, he provide interesting and humorous answers to the "offbeat" questions put to all of the candidates. 

Niki Ashton is still not quite ready for "prime time" and has improved enormously since her last run for leader.

I like Caron better since the beginning of the leadership process and heard his positions.

I still do not have an understanding of Jagmeet Singh positions. He seems to(to me anyway) articulate  in "sound bites" that may resonate with some(many?) Perhaps he's fluent in the language of social media, this may work for him, time will tell.

I rated Jack Layton way down on my list of candidates in the last leadership vote. Shows you what I know!

As I did not take out a membership before mid-August, therefore I shall not have a say, in voting, in and for the next leader. I shall watch with interest the final selection though.

As an aside the NDP in New Brunswick, the Party has a new leader, Jennifer McKenzie, she was proclaimed in early August.

I like the direction she is leading the Party. The last leader Dominic Cardy, who met with no success and decimated the Party, was trying to go madly off in some fuzzy third direction way.

He left in a huff and  the very next day joined the New Brunswick Progressive Conservatives, in a paid staff position. 

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 14, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
I like Charlie Angus as well, mainly because I've known of him (from same playing circles I recall his days in L'etranger with Andrew Cash and in the Grievous Angels...) for several decades, and I also know he is a very dedicated person, not by his words, by his actions as well.

However, while I don't know Jagmeet Singh very well, I do like what I see. I can't say I would be unhappy to see either become leader, both have their advantages. The rest, naw.

I have to say this however on another topic...

What The Wynne government has proposed regarding the legal framework for pot, is quite simply a total idiot crap show. I'm very disappointed in their stupidity, I wanted to believe that Wynne is much smarter than that phoney McGuinty (Whom I never voted for or ever liked) but wow. I really hope they backtrack on this. I personally don't use pot and don't plan to unless in older age pain is a big problem (better than opioids thats for sure...) but I'd rather see something that makes sense. End rant. ;)

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: September 14, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Another Liberal government in New Brunswick is leaning toward the "Commission" model of control and distribution.

The final report is still pending but the pronouncement from the committee hearing from the "public" say the public overwhelmingly want this, the official opposition Progressive Conservatives say this is not so.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 16, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
Well the Government of New Brunswick has announced the establishment of a Crown Corporation and suppliers of product to said said Corporation. However no information on how many pot shops will be available to the public.

Quote from: CBCNews
The New Brunswick government says it has formed a new Crown corporation to oversee the sale of recreational marijuana.

Two cannabis producers, Organigram and Canopy Growth, have signed agreements to be suppliers, the province announced Friday...

...Details of the retail model, how and where sales of legalized pot will be carried out, and what the "other entity" will be are to be worked out in the coming months, Rogers said...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/organigram-marijuana-retail-new-brunswick-1.4291255

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »
These suppliers, and future ones, sure better be squeaky-clean.

And I don't just mean organized crime, organized grime (politics) too.

Follow the money.
Volunteering enriches your Life.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: September 17, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Not to mention advertised organic medicinal weed sold with chemical pesticides.

Quote from: CanadianPress
MONCTON, N.B. – Medical marijuana users have filed a class-action lawsuit against a New Brunswick producer after unapproved pesticides were found in its products.

Wagners Law filed a statement of claim with the Nova Scotia Supreme Court against Moncton-based Organigram Inc. and its parent company, Organigram Holdings Inc.

The Halifax-based law firm alleges roughly 2,000 people purchased cannabis products containing myclobutanil and bifenazate from the company last year.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/03/06/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-n-b-marijuana-producer-over-pesticide-use/

Quote from: HuffPost
Many of the chemicals applied to pot plants are intended only for lawns and other non-edibles. Medical cannabis samples collected in Los Angeles have been found to contain pesticide residues at levels 1600 times the legal digestible amount.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/marijuana-pesticides-contamination_n_3328122

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 01, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
An apparent terror attack in Edmontonlast night reported.

Already, the alt right are losing their minds and it's apparently 'Trudeau's' fault. Despite not offering one shred of evidence that it was.

Not surprisingly, the same pieces of work said nothing when 6 innocent Muslims were slaughtered in Quebec not long ago. nothing...

As always, losing their minds if the suspect has anything that resembles a radical Islamic terrorist, but completely deaf and mute to the larger number here of people losing their lives to white terrorists.

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #1705 on: October 03, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 03, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
Interesting that turnout in Quebec was higher than the national average. I've seen people already predicting a total collapse of the Quebec vote, probably on the assumption that all voters in Quebec are both racists and stupid.

This will make a federal election far more interesting than if Angus would have won. Perhaps this time I'll switch from green to ndp.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: October 28, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-nafta-napping-trudeau-1.4376523

So in other words.... if Harper were in charge, he'd be terrified of Trump's threats and completely sell us out to whatever the US demanded. What a surprise. I'm not a big fan of Trudeau really, but reading these comments from Harper make me really glad he is no longer PM. Harper truly was a disaster. And clearly still would be.