Musical Equipment

• 1565 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Musical Equipment
« Reply #1560 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
If they ain't broke ... don't listen to anything else.  Cheaper that way hah.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
Well by luck I somehow placed the CM47 is a much better spot and somehow managed to be the placement correct for every single mic on the kit in terms of phase alignment (aka polarity), that rarely happens.  Got some pretty nice sounds out of it considering I didn't tune it up much first :)  I think next up for me for drum purchases will probably be ... snares.  I dialed up the two that I have but they are pretty limited in what they do.  They both sound great on rock tunes or anything where you hit the drum hard, but once you lighten up and do more delicate stuff they don't have the definition I'd like.  It's not mechanical or setup related, these particular shells just sound like they do.  I actually found a second "trick" that my recording custom one-trick-pony can do and it sounds pretty good doing it.  But I need something that I don't have to bash the crap out of to make sing and I know that without good budget it's gonna take some time to find the right stuff.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 13, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
Most snares, if they are half decent, can be made to sing fairly decently. It’s a choice of heads, tuning, how the heads are out on, and often overlooked is the snarebed.

Don’t over tighten a snare bed.  Let guys think they know and they don’t! In fact 90% of them don’t know. Make sure that bed sits right, is straight, and tighten only just when the excess snarey over run finishes up. A turn too far will choke a drum and yeah you’ll need to hammer it to sound like a snare you’ll never get sing out it ever.

Also make sure the bottom is somewhat tighter than the top, a loose bottom will sound sloggy, and if you over tighten you’ll lose sensitivity.

It’s a very delicate balance with a snare, one wrong mover either way just a tiny bit will take the sing right out of it. I know I make it my job number one to make them sing every time I play.

My fav current top head is the ambassador coated CS, it’s a coated ambassador with a black dot underneath. Don’t get an emperor version (easy mistake I did it...) or the dot on top. Or straight up coated ambassador.

And ambassador hazy on the bottom. Reseat that snare bed, and get it to sing!

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 14, 2018, 03:11:01 AM »
They are not choked, I just redid both snares top to bottom -- new snare strings on one and a new bottom head on the other (and new top heads for both).  They are adjusted ok but they just don't sound great until you hit them harder (even with the snares off).  They are both just kind of plunky until you get to a certain level of attack with them.  Maybe it's the heads ... next set of heads I'll try something different.  Now that I'm playing more often I will probably go through snare heads that much quicker.

The stuff that's currently blowing my mind are my Softube Console 1 and I just discovered ProTools Control (free iPad app that is killer).  The Control 1 changes everything for me.  I just finished doing a mix on it (first day with it) and it sped up my process sooooo much it's not even funny.  At some point I may ditch this Raven MTI2 and maybe use a different motorized fader control surface (like my huge console sitting beside me).  I use the Raven less and less and now that I've started using the Control software it's pretty much redundant aside from doing multitouch mixing ... which I can do with my board.  Although I do enjoy having the touch screen for all kinds of other uses ... will have to see how it goes... because it would be a lot nicer to have a good hi resolution display in front of me instead of this cheap 1080p raven (the touch is awesome but the display looks pretty crappy).

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 14, 2018, 07:16:57 AM »
Hmmm, are they good snare drums? What are they?

Because truly, you can get any good snare with decent bearing edges to sing. Right combo of heads, the tuning, and like I said, very few understand how to seat a snarebed right... I don’t mean to patronize, it’s an art, it can make or break...

What heads are on it? What kind of snares?

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »
Really not trying be patronizing re: your snares. But it’s one of my passions, obviously :) I have drum nerd buddies where we literally spend hours discussing nuances of snare setup technique...