Musical Equipment

• 1464 Replies

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Musical Equipment
« Reply #1440 on: January 12, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
The new adjustable cloud up and in use. Can slide them to sit correctly above the mics depending on my setup, and or remove 1, 2 or all 3 if I want.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 13, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
Cool, looks good.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 13, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
next up, cladding back wall in that rough pine, then looking at opposing wall, likely building a large diffuser, perhaps using blueprints from arqen.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
Got the U47fet clone mic, just tried some samples.

Big difference from the re20. This one is far more clearer, captures a more organic sound from the front, more like what it actually sounds like in front. I was surprised by the amount of attack it also picked up. I could quite literally just record with that alone.

I haven’t tried different positions yet, just about a foot + or so in front. It’s an omni so I wonder if the bass drum behind it (a foot away) also is giving an extra voice as well!

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »
Yep omni gives you a whole different soundprint of the room around you for sure!  It's hard to go wrong with a good 47 clone, there is a reason why everyone makes clones of them! (well that and no one I know can afford a real original one!) 

I got my matched pair of NOS Audio Panther MKII's today (Ribbon Figure 8 mics) but it will still be a few days before I can give them a proper go as tomorrow is finally the day that the chair platforms are being built!  Then I can't use my control room for 24 hours while it all dries.  But in the meantime I will get my kit moved around to a slightly different spot in the room and then all miced up and ready to rock for when I can get back to my DAW :)

I am still going to lust over one of those Sphere L22 mics ... maybe one day soon.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 16, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Oh and I got my Etymotic ER3SE headphones in and they are absolutely perfect for what I need.  Single armature (your IEMs are 3 armatures).  These are nice and flat, the impedance is good and I don't need a crazy amp to push them.  Very nice and flat response and the soundfield is amazing.  They sound soooo 3d if you know what I mean.  They seal really nice with just the stock ends, already had my molds done and should have them shortly.  They are super comfortable to listen to as well, some headphones give me audio fatigue, even some really nice ones , but these ones seem great so far.  Very comparable to the Genelecs, they are a very good match.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:46 PM »
I did a lot of digging, lots of u87, and some u67 clones.

But this one was the only true U47fet condenser model I could find anywhere.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 18, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
Got a great start on the chair mats (if you can call them that, more like new floor).  Still have some trimming up to do and some trim.  Also decided to do a third section.  This comes apart into two pieces so it is movable ... pretty sore.  This wood weighs a TON, Brazillian Walnut (Ipe).  Very happy with the way this looks!  But holy moly, that one main piece of flooring (on the left side) probably weighs close to 200 lbs!

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 18, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
Actually the UE11pros have 4 armatures, it has low mid high and a dedicated sub as well, and dual bored to separate them. What’s nice is that the sub is not hyped in any way, but will give you a gentle and clear representation of those low low frequencies which is super helpful for recording drums I find. I picked up the low rumble of the large floor tom sympathetic to the bass drum it was below 100hz, didn’t pick it up on the akg headphones at all.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 20, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Remember to close the lid on the glue when you’re done so you don’t kick it over on the floor with your foot when you’re $&@?ing paying attention though and a flip out grabbing wet towels to mop it before it dries shouting obscenities and the cats farting out of the way and yeah save yourself the trouble...

Still chuckling reading this again.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 22, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
Got the ear molds today for the ER3's, they feel and sound great, very happy especially for the price.  The isolation is great and the sound is all I need for my setup.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 22, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
Despite how good sounding the UE11s are, I still always pull them out after I’ve gotten sounds and ran test tracks to listen through the genelecs. Always, even with good headphones I learned to do this. If I don’t I always end up very sorry I didn’t and discover something bad :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
Quick Q, How would I get a mono signal into one of the line ins of the apollo8? It takes a trs, assuming this isn't a trs as in a stereo try?

edit: a mono cable worked fine!

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 22, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
https://www.long-mcquade.com/97851/Pro-Audio---Recording/Microphones/Townsend-Labs/Sphere-L22-Precision-Microphone-Modeling-System.htm

Got the UA email in the plugin. A great idea, will wait a whil til more is said about this mic. Maybe a revision or 2. But 2 grand, weeeeeee. If I could get it cheaper I’d give it a go.

The U47fet clone so far, is sounding really good. A foot from the front head. It can literally be, the only bd mic, very clear, very well defined low, great attack, nothing hyped. The re20 sounds really murky and woofy in comparison. Probably best inside the drum. Or, as a radio talking mic ;)

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: Today at 10:41:46 AM »
Yep best as a radio voice mic, I was never a big fan.  I like them almost as little as 421s ;)

Yep now you know why I'm so interested in this one.  I don't think they need or will be doing a v2 in the near future.  Have watched a bunch of stuff on the making of that mic, there's not really much else they could or need to do with it.  I could see at some point them maybe doing more specialized ones for emulating ribbon or dynamic mics, but in terms of large diaphragm condensers they didn't pull any punches with this one.  Allen Sides (Ocean Way) has very very good things to say about this mic and the emulations and he's one of the foremost mic guys in the world.

But ya, $2k is not in the budget right now .. but in terms of buying some of the "reals" mics the L22 is waaaaaay cheaper and it gets you like 95% (or more) of the way there ... and specifically in terms of the incredible mics from Ocean Way you just can't even buy some of them, and the ones that you can buy might require mortgaging your house to do it.  The awesome thing about these emulations is that they are emulating the best of the best examples of some of these things ... so even at 95% sometimes they are still WAY better than anything either of us could afford to buy.

I'm very happy with my room sound overall.  Might do a little bit of reflection management when I build panels and probably a bit more Roxol in the ceiling but other than that can't ask for better for what I have going on over here.

Not surprised that your U47 is working for you, they are great mics.  I'm hoping to do some experimenting this week with my new pair of ribbon mics, not using them in the setup yet but I don't imagine it will stay that way for long!  Probably going to try one in front of my kick drum as well just for fun, but ideally will probably mostly use them in a Blumlein layout (a kind of stereo imaging technique) as my main room mics and/or as additional overheads.  My biggest issue right now is trying to get the proper balance of cymbals to drums in my overheads ... my cymbals are a bit loud still.  Made some tweaks and hope to do another test sessions this evening to see how it works out.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:03:05 AM by Gerk »