Musical Equipment

• 1219 Replies

Max

• View Profile
Re: Musical Equipment
« Reply #1200 on: September 11, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Those mounts work sideways? On the Genelec 8030s? How does that work? The mount is affixed via a metal undercarriage beneath the speaker itself...  I don't see how you can use it differently.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 12, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »
I haven't tried it's based on someone telling me. Then there's this:
http://cdn.cvp.com/images/products/altimage/05%2010%2020111317823289genelec_8030apm_side.jpg

I assume they unscrewed it. I'm not changing my vertical setup however. I don't have enough experience now to be fooling with conventional wisdom just yet :)

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
Me neither. And with the upright stance the metal mount for the isolation mount itself is screwed into the cabinet. I guess you could rest 'em sideways but they'd just be sitting on the mount... a little less secure.
______

Max

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Try upside down, to simulate my "bungee" solution.  ;D
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 12, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
anyone notice UA seems to be having a lot of sales? Is it just me or? Now they have 40% off 40 analog plugins. Pretty sweet deals really. Seems nuts to pay full price for any of them.

My eye has been on the fender tweed and it's on for 119. Sweet sounding amp!

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 12, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
I'm sitting this one out. But you're right - they have frequent sales and it's best to wait. You never have to wait too terribly long.

Me, I'm waiting until one of those Apollo quad or octo hardware units are on sale. I just missed it last go-round. I figure I could use the processor muscle more right now than I need more UA plugins.

But I'm starting a new gig, so I'm looking down the road.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
right. There was a time I had crazy thoughts of a second apollo, when they offered a free satellite with a purchase of a rack. But they ended that promotion and I thankfully regained my senses. :)

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 16, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
I'm too poor to buy any more plugins right now, plus I have a lot of them and an octo satellite so I'm pretty covered on that front.  All my funds just went towards a new car as our old one died a sudden and unexpected death (rear differential on an all wheel drive vehicle).  Parts and labour to replace were waaaaaay over what we would be willing to put into the car ($3k++ for a used part and $5k++ for a new part).  So we broke the bank and bought a very nice brand new vehicle so my budget is shot for years to come LOL.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 22, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
If you guys haven't read/watched this one yet I highly recommend it if you're at all interested in miking techniques.  This guy says it like it is.  Of course I haven't mixed who he has mixed but that live mixing background gives you a certain outlook on things which I definitely share and have been preaching for years (GT can attest to that hah).

http://www.uaudio.com/blog/vance-powell-miking-techniques/

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
I like some of what he says. I like his idea of using a 421 on the floor tom top and something on the bottom. As you know I've wanted to try using a 421 on the floor (NOT the rack toms!).

But his wanting to use crappy CB700 cymbals, no thanks. I do understand though, and this is evolving of me, of using different cymbals for recording, luckily I have a whole bunch and will probably get more I have like 3 or 4 sets of crashes. Recently I started using a set of Zildjan A series thin cymbals, hate them, never use them live but they record a certain way. Trust me, if you were doing live sound and a drummer showed up with a pile of those B8s you will start scheming as to how to get away with murder. Man I've heard those live and all you hear, is cymbals, and not in a good way. Even wit no overheads. The bleed into the vocal mics, totally brutal with those especially.

I'd NEVER use B8 cymbals and I'd have to be paid really well to have to use :) hate, hate, hate the sound of them, they are not musical. If you like that type of sound, paiste is where you should go, or really old 70s 'band' cymbals by zildjain like the heavy weight series. You'll get what you're after and it'll sound much better.

Cracked cymbals, sure, I have a stack of cracked 18s from my years of crushing thor drumming ( :) ) and I have used them to stack, and may even try cutting one up for fun.

not sure on the mono overhead. Maybe if you have a nice big room with ceiling height. I don't have that.

Agree on hihat, I take great pains to quieten my hats, they're lowered so I play them with the tip on the top, not hacking at a 45 degree angle like I use to (though thats a sound...) wish I did that before cracking my favourite hihat pair... that was like 500 bucks dammit.

I'll watch the rest.

edit, why does autocorrect hate drum terms so much?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:58:50 AM by Groovetube »

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 23, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
It's worth watching until the end.  He makes a really great explanation at one point about the mono overheads and the panning of the actual drums in physical space.

Also consider the type of stuff he's known to mix .. it's very over the top stuff in terms of tone, not more generic rock/hard rock stuff .. it's guys that are frontmen or want very specific types of sounds.  I am going to play around with a couple of the things he talked about.

Another thing he talked about was making the arc from the drum set and setting up mics all around that at the same distance.  This is very interesting to me in terms of taking a live type mix and embracing the bleed that comes into everything.  I actually cleaned out all my drum room area a couple weeks ago and hope to full finish getting things all back and setup this weekend (the new and improved version).  I will post pics when it's done (done is a relative term because as you know it's never fully "done").

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
I did. I agree conceptually about where the drums should sit. I'll probably experiment more later as I gain more experience recording etc. I've just been leaning on the spaced pair a bit initially to gain some air and space for now. My overheads sound great as they are so I'm not comfortable changing it up just yet.

I haven't had time yet but my next move as mentioned is changing my drywall surfaces to wood. I'll start with redoing the ceiling above, with better and slimmer panels above the overheads. As you said an ongoing job!

I've started teaching now so need to be careful on 'projects' making a mess .

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 23, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
I've gone for the totally dead room approach since it's such a small area and will be relying on adding ambience to things :/  I covered the walls in moving blankets and have sound absorbing tiles above the kit now.  It's an open area so it's not a contained dead room (which is bad), but I definitely won't have any reflections going on (and the reflections I was getting were horrible).  I'm also not a drummer, I just track drums on occasion and mostly for my own stuff so I can do whatever I want and if it sucks then I just deal with it hah.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 23, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
Yeah the pinging crap I got early on was pretty horrible. I've learned since then, drywall = baaaaaaaad. Unfinished softer woods much much better, and I will ease up on my panels and bass traps is very very very good. I may experiment with a diffuser if I'm up for a day of chopsaw/sander and build one of those monsters with 2x2s. Seems like it's all part of the growing experiences :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 05, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
see yeah this is the sort of thing that makes me nuts. https://www.uaudio.com/apollo-satellite-promo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=Q4ApolloSatellite17&utm_content=USA

I already bought my apollo8. Would have loved a bit of extra oomph.