Musical Equipment

• 1207 Replies

Max

• View Profile
Re: Musical Equipment
« Reply #1035 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
Gerk: thanks for the reminder, forgot they have those video tips. Will definitely be digging into those in a few days. Hell, I have to take a tally of what UA plugins I have now... there's definitely a handful I've not yet tried out. I've a feeling Ocean Way will be a mainstay though.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
ocean way is wonderful. That, the neve1073, and the fairchild, I'm getting killer tone.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 20, 2017, 07:03:53 PM »
Here's the whole list of them (warning, I did NOT make any of you buy any of these plugins :D )

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Oh no no no no not that one if I ever get involved in mixing (I'm taking baby steps here) using that strip I can smell the need for an octo satellite my wish list is already longer than my bank account (2 drumkits 5 snares more mikes another UA device notwithstanding).

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
That's just the first one, if you go to the youtube link it's the first video of the list of all of their 5 Minute Tip videos.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 20, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Right then I'll stand down :)

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 19, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
Hey guys, I just scored a nice little MIDI controller from Native Instruments... a Komplete Kontrol S49. I've been using NI's Guitar Rig for some years now but this is the first time I've delved into their keyboard offerings. Took me about an hour to download all the software and, several hours and a couple of attempts later, figure out how to make it all talk to the Mac and work nicely in Logic, but I'm really stoked now. Tons of great sounds (running the gamut between classics and very out there synth voicings) and a very playable and respectably responsive keyboard.. I'm definitely a guitar-oriented player but it's nice to have a chance to work up some simple melodies, hopefully concoct some keyboard-based spines that I can then adorn with bass, guitar, vocals, whatever.

I have an old Edirol 22 key unit that was eventually effectively orphaned because there was no software for it that would work with latter-day versions of OS X. I got several years' service out of it but it always was a pretty cheap piece of kit and felt that way - plasticky and not terribly seductive. Now I feel I've stepped into a whole other world. Here's the temp setup in my painting studio downstairs while we get the rest of the house painted. Everything's topsy-turvy for another week or two but that ought to give me enough time to get comfortable in all the bits and pieces of the Komplete suite of tools.

Thanks for your time, just had to crow a bit! Ha ha.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 19, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
 Very sweet. Still have the old m-audio controller that's pretty basic someday I'll get something better, but my wishlist is far too long!

Love the Advil bottle, I have the same (or Tylenol) nearby :)

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »
Ha! The Advil bottle is because I received the second of two implants yesterday, so it was very much needed. I'm doing fine today but I'm still on the Advil path for another day or two. I don't normally need that kind of thing.

Trust me, I know about the long wish list. Next up, I'd like a bass sub for my home setup. And maybe a much nicer microphone for vocal work. A drum kit would be good too, both for myself to dabble with and for visiting musos who are so inclined. But that last one ain't gonna happen, not with the current space limitations. Guess if I gave up painting I could have a really nice music studio in the house.... but lack of space is really playing a role.

Reminds me - I was talking to two of the sales staff at Moog Audio (where I bought the keyboard, its hard cover and a table-type stand) about space considerations and they said that they've really noticed a change in what people in the city are buying over the last decade or so. They want significantly smaller gear - if not an 88-key keyboard maybe a 49'er, and they want small monitors/speakers that can punch way above their weight. Even powerful laptops rather than bulky desktops, etc. (especially for DJs and mostly electronica musos). He put it down to the condo boom and how Torontonians - at least in the core - are facing up to the reality of a relentlessly shrinking amount of physical living space.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:48:53 PM by Max »
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 20, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Most certainly space is a major consideration. I've dedicated my full basement to the studio, and to be sure, it's lots of room, but being a drummer, it presents a lot of challenges, and lets face it, despite being in a detached (which I feel VERY lucky to be in) the downtown Toronto houses footprint isn't anywhere near what you see in the suburbs, so my basement is still quite small considering. So I do have to consider the size of anything I bring in down here (the massive zeppelin kit is now up for sale :) )

I'm very happy with the genelec 8030s I got, they're very small but boy do they pack a punch! I recently added a KRK10 sub and I'm done!

Haven't been to moog audio, I keep meaning to drop in, they have a more eclectic selection of mics I want to see.

I'm always afraid to go to cool new gear stores ;)

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 20, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Nice rig Max!  I finally got my keyboard station finished a while back, haven't had time to use it a ton yet (well aside from sitting at it some evenings and plunking away for fun, no serious recording yet).  Have it all hooked up to my old Mac Pro and the TV on the wall is the monitor for it.  Run Logic + Digital Performer on it depending on what I'm doing at the time ... it's all synced and patched into my main rig.  Have been super happy with it all.

The main piano is a full weighted 88 key Roland MKB-1000 controller (the first midi controller they ever made and still one of their best pianos, it even has hammers!).  Feels fantastic.  Also have the midi all cross patched into my main rig, but I honestly rarely do much with the hardware midi these days aside from a few nice fat snyth sounds I have on my old QSR/QS 6.1 synths (I have a bunch of cards for them).

And in this pic I will see your Advil and GTs Tylenol ... I have one of each in this pic LOL.  I have some serious arm/shoulder issues happening right now so I need both depending on the day ... there's also some good eye drops there (lubricating).  As I age my desk/workstation collects more and more remedies that I use on a daily basis!

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 20, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
Well the heavy anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants are upstairs in a cabinet :)

I'm still battling major issues, though it has improved over the past year, just changing up my physio person this week to hopefully shake things up.

No eye lube though :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
I like the tv thing though, maybe at some point I'll snag a 1080p thing that's wider, I don't need this 30" ips it can go upstairs where I'd do more graphic stuff.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 20, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
A TV is not my first choice for a main monitor, but in this setup it just made sense and I already had this TV (which has issues with audio over HDMI) so it gave it a new lease on life.  it spent several years as a bedroom TV with a mac mini attached to it as a Plex machine as well.  It honestly looks pretty terrible but for the amount you look at it for picking sounds or doing simple stuff it's no big deal.

That said I LOVE my 4k TV on the articulated arm above my main mixing position.  That thing looks pretty great.  It's about the same size (43") and I run it at different resolutions depending on what I'm doing.  With the touch screen Raven controller it's a great combo.  One of these years you will have to visit my setup if you ever get out this way (that goes for any of the members here!)

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 22, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
The main piano is a full weighted 88 key Roland MKB-1000 controller (the first midi controller they ever made and still one of their best pianos, it even has hammers!).  Feels fantastic.  Also have the midi all cross patched into my main rig, but I honestly rarely do much with the hardware midi these days aside from a few nice fat snyth sounds I have on my old QSR/QS 6.1 synths (I have a bunch of cards for them).

Fully weighted with hammers? OK, now I'm officially jealous. Awesome setup, Gerk. One of these days I have to reconfigure the studio so that I have more room to grow. Damn it all, the event horizon is always just a wee bit out of reach!
______

Max