My iTunes Adventure

• 41 Replies

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
Re: My iTunes Adventure
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
No luck getting Aperture to co-exist with the older iTunes. It sees the playlist folder but not the contents. True whether tunes are located on external volume or stored normally within ~/Music/iTunes/iTunesMedia/Music.

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
Well, my external Lacie drive where I've been keeping my iTunes library & media seems to have failed. Won't mount, won't even stay on. Toast I guess.

I'm restoring my iTunes library to my external Western Digital RAID drive using Time Machine. Looks like it'll take a couple of hours, mainly because the Time Machine drive is so freaking slow.

Betcha this is gonna send me right back to where I was at the start of this thread, where my iPads and iPod are concerned. Bleh.
Ars est celare artem •  The Doug Photography

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
They need to rethink the whole iTunes thing.

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
Well knock wood, that seems to have gone well. iTunes library restored to my WD RAID drive from Time Capsule, and my iToys seem to sync with no sign of the horrid problems I had last time I moved the library.

I'm debating replacing the failed LaCie with an external SSD just for the iTunes library, or leaving it in its new home on the WD RAID drive. Hmm.

I'm also considering going with a new RAID setup at some point just for Time Capsule backups. My current WD RAID is only for my media & stuff I don't want taking up space on my iMac's internal SSD.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:39 AM »
Glad it worked out for you Doug, that's great.  I have backups of my backups in all sorts of places including replicated stuff on two different NAS sets here and the cloud.  You can never have too many backups, especially of things that you made and/or can't re-download or recreate!

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »
Was looking up RAID / NAS solutions for home use. Choices are a bit bewildering as is the price range.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
What are your needs?  Maybe I can help ...

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
Simple RAID 1 setup with 2 or 4 disks I guess. Not looking for pure speed etc., just redundancy and reliability, easy drive-swapping when needed, and Time Machine compatibility.

Was thinking of something like this but I don't need the cloud thing - maybe I shouldn't eliminate it outright though. The WD 2-disk RAID unit I've been using for external storage for two years has been solid so far so I'm kind of gravitating towards that brand but it's not set in stone. I do prefer WD hard drives though, I've been using them since my Power Mac G5 days with nary a problem.

Was briefly considering one of the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt units but I don't think I'll go with that brand ever again. I've had two LaCie external drives fail at the office in the past five years, and a similar unit just went belly up at home. Nopes, yer not gettin' my money again.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:45:20 AM by The Doug »

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
I might suggest something like this then:  http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-thunderbolt-2

I've had great experiences with the g-technology stuff.  There was only one drive I was not that impressed with (the one down from that one I posted above, which was the firewire/USB2 version and was a little chincy).  They use HGST drives (which have very very low failure rates) and they are here in Burlington so support is really good.  I've dealt with their support and it was really good, no problems getting replacements for anything should the need arise -- in fact they overnighted to me AND sent a pre-paid box to send back the faulty stuff.

My wife also has one of these ones:  http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-studio

That one has swappable drives, but it's a bit louder than the top one and has a totally different aesthetic.  I imagine the internals are pretty similar.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
And lastly I own one of these (and have installed them for several clients) and they have been really good for me to date:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013099-REG/promise_technology_p2r4hd8us_promise_pegasus2_r_4_bay_4x2tb_t_bolt2.html

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
The WD dual drive enclosures I'm not a big fan of personally, they are made pretty cheaply compared to the couple of options above but it all depends on your budget and how long you expect the hardware to run for.  With the WD enclosures I think it's just a matter of time for failures ... most of the time it's the enclosure that fails on you -- which is a problem because it uses proprietary RAID stuff which means unless you can pop the two drives into an identical enclosure there's a chance you will lose your data.  At least with the G-technology and Pegasus versions they are compatible from one unit to another and already in drive trays.

And for the love of all things technology do NOT consider a Drobo based solution.  Friends don't let friends use Drobe if they value their data.

I have a very different setup at my house these days (aside from the Pegasus which is at my DAW) ... which has 60 drive bays and a plethora of RAID and RAID-like options ... if you feel the need to go there I can probably advise on that direction too ;)

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
Kewl thanks - was looking at those too, leaning towards Promise if I had to make a quick choice. What brand disks does it ship with?

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
Yeah the proprietary WD thing is what has me looking at other/better options for a RAID 1 backup solution. That and the cheap enclosure - mine's been just fine up to now but that doesn't mean it will always be so.

Permanently crossed Drobo off the candidates list a while back when I bought my WD media unit. Gack.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
I just pulled a drive to find out ... the Pegasus R4 I have shipped with 2TB Toshiba drives.

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »
Kewl, thanks...