Photo resizing - optimum size - image controls etc

• 9 Replies

macdoc

• View Profile
    • MacDoc.com
Photo resizing - optimum size - image controls etc
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »
Forums are all over the place on auto-resizing images.....drives me buggy...some resize too small and constant clicking disrupts narrative ( motorcycle blogs in particular ).

Some have an imgfit choice to resize.

Is there a "best size for here" recommendation.

I like a 900 wide size as it provides enough detail without going too wide tho 800 is okay.
Any thoughts on a auto-resize or a preferred size to upload.
When 4k comes on over the next few years gonna be demand for larger image space

This is off Picasa which Google mucked up but is still reasonable. it was 650 wide on there

This 1700+ original and seems to size down to 720 or so  - wonder why that one photo of the guy with the rod in his head went so wide?? :o

Also wondering about having any subject categories for photos - ie birds, travel.
I know it's early but the stuff done now tends to persist.

The Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Doug on Zenfolio
Re: Photo resizing - optimum size - image controls etc
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
I prefer around 800 myself. Larger and it gets painful on mobile devices e.g. iPad etc.

Why not just post in the photo thread for now, it's supposed to be free-wheeling and in the moment instead of categorical.
Ars est celare artem •  The Doug Photography

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
I usually do 800-900 and it works out ok for most people.  No auto-resize stuff here, trying to keep things very vanilla to it's easy to stay up to date with things, the more custom stuff and addons you plow in the more trouble you get yourself into.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Agreed on the customizations and the trouble with them. That's why some forums even don't allow image uploads, only embeds from external sites. 800ish is usually a good bet. Not sure what happened on that image that got large. Perhaps when I get through some family stuff and I get to working on a newer theme update, some nice max-width CSS for images in posts?

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
That image was manually set to a smaller size on the original article, so when it was linked in it came in at native size.  I just manually added a width to it in the BBCode to shrink it down (letting the browser resize it).

bryanc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »
Is there a "best size for here" recommendation.
I wish I'd seen this earlier, as there is a simple rule in image processing regarding the optimal sampling frequency.  It is called Nyqvist sampling, and it is based on the statistical theory that shows that in order to minimize loss of information, the sampling frequency has to be 0.23 times the minimal "feature" size.  So if you know your image is going to be presented with pixel sizes of X, your resolution should be 0.23X.  Any greater resolution will not increase the amount of information available to the viewer, and any lower resolution risks "aliasing artefacts."

Cheers

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
It's funny how all over the map it is. With social I'm finding different platforms encourage different sizes. On Ello it's common to see stuff 1400 pixels wide and larger. I'm now going with the flow there and doing 1400 wide for a landscape mode and 1000-1100 for portrait mode. On other platforms I see it's not as generous. Lovely to see stuff nice and big if you're on a large screen device and have decent broadband.

On the other hand, I often think of a pro photographer friend who's all but given up posting anything on the net for fear of piracy. And when he does post, it's no bigger than 800 pixels wide - often smaller than that. When he gets into that mindset of "I'm not going to put anything on the furshlugginer net" I have to wonder what the point is. Folks like him are so talented, they deserve a wider audience. Yet there's this whole other newer mindset which sees all data as being fair game - slice and dice other people's work as you will and make it your own. There's no stealing, only repurposing. I have mixed feelings about all these different points of view and see no clear way to resolve all their differences.

I hang out a lot at Urban Toronto. They've recently changed their platform software and have been encouraging people to use their file uploader. They then resize those images to fit their standards template. Me, I still like the control of using my own hosting sites. Most of the places I frequent are image-heavy anyway so I've given up worrying about people on limited cell plans or, heaven forbid, dialup. Generally I try to make stuff fit whatever the prevailing norm is on a given site. Occasionally I slip up. Too, it's a pain to save to different sizes if you're cross-posting images to two or three different sites.
______

Max

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
It's funny how all over the map it is. With social I'm finding different platforms encourage different sizes. On Ello it's common to see stuff 1400 pixels wide and larger. I'm now going with the flow there and doing 1400 wide for a landscape mode and 1000-1100 for portrait mode. On other platforms I see it's not as generous. Lovely to see stuff nice and big if you're on a large screen device and have decent broadband.

On the other hand, I often think of a pro photographer friend who's all but given up posting anything on the net for fear of piracy. And when he does post, it's no bigger than 800 pixels wide - often smaller than that. When he gets into that mindset of "I'm not going to put anything on the furshlugginer net" I have to wonder what the point is. Folks like him are so talented, they deserve a wider audience. Yet there's this whole other newer mindset which sees all data as being fair game - slice and dice other people's work as you will and make it your own. There's no stealing, only repurposing. I have mixed feelings about all these different points of view and see no clear way to resolve all their differences.

I hang out a lot at Urban Toronto. They've recently changed their platform software and have been encouraging people to use their file uploader. They then resize those images to fit their standards template. Me, I still like the control of using my own hosting sites. Most of the places I frequent are image-heavy anyway so I've given up worrying about people on limited cell plans or, heaven forbid, dialup. Generally I try to make stuff fit whatever the prevailing norm is on a given site. Occasionally I slip up. Too, it's a pain to save to different sizes if you're cross-posting images to two or three different sites.

No longer make my living with my cameras so I don't worry a lot about piracy. The cost of pursuing someone who does pirate would greatly exceed any benefits from the effort. That said I like the way mac•discussion and some other sites offer a form of built-in protection. Here if you're not logged in, you can't see my photos, so a mere internet search is not going to make anything I post here easily available to the general public. When I do post images I try to remember to strip EXIF data and change image name. Images are always cropped or modified in some way, so anyone trying to claim jump would be unable to produce the original as proof, whereas I can.

Edit: Did a drag and drop of an image which had been posted with EXIF data intact. I see Mac•discussion strips EXIF data from images which are posted as attachments. Good news as I sometimes forget that step.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:12:58 AM by RTM »

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 08:21:51 PM »
I think that SMF only strips out the metadata if it resizes or resamples the image (but I may be wrong, I didn't dig into the source code for that bit).

macdoc

• View Profile
    • MacDoc.com
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 03:14:42 AM »
Reviving this as I'm hunting for a new hosting site since google is bailing on Picasa after mucking it up. They did move all the folders to Google+ but hate the feature set.

Picasa gave me reasonable control over screen sizes I posted and took photos full size 4k across which I approve of for future use.

I also migrated over to 500px

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/highlight-album

I do like the way it lays photos out in a gallery and it's reasonably intuitive to upload.

Not as straight forward as Picasa to organize photos or move between albums. I'd prefer to reorder from thumbnails
The photos look good on my upper end Dell.

It's a work around to be able to put photos on a forum but the default is 900 wide which is fine for most forums tho my birding forum is wider.
This is one of my shots from 500px done that way ....the good part is I know I'm not overwhelming forum software.

Online edit tools are okay ....Picasa has none left after Google stripped them out.  >:(

To run a 2k slide tho I'd love to find a site that would host 2k across and allow random tho I can do that from the computer. What I'd really like is to see some of Apple's screen savers like Origami either configurable from a site or as a stand alone from the computer so I can work and have the pictures in a random and multi-photo slide show.

Have yet to find any standalone that does it. If anyone knows a way to trick the Mac into running a screen saver of choice on the second screen while working on the main screen on other apps I would be forever grateful.

GF is hooked now on letting our thousands of travel photos run on her Retina just as a delightful photo frame. I use GraphicConverter9 running on the second screen now but there are no multi-photo effects. I do like that I can trash bad shots right from the running slide show with out interrupting and I grab screen shots of photos I like on occasion and I find shots I have overlooked that look good in 2k format but uninspiring in a smaller displlay format.

Just realized Google Photo has some value. Gives me a full sized option.