climate change thread

• 348 Replies

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: climate change thread
« Reply #345 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
Sorry, I haven't been around much lately.  Too damn busy with research, writing grant proposals, and a double teaching load (our departmental budget was cut, so we now can't hire sessional instructors to cover sabbaticals, meaning all the regular faculty have to teach overloads... I suppose that's one way to deal with "over-reliance on contract instructors").

As for this particular issue, as I tried over and over to explain to the troglodytes on EhMac, I'm not a climate scientist, so my opinion on the science is exactly as worthless as that of any other member of the lay public.  But I am a scientist, and I can say that consensus among scientists in any field does not emerge easily.  We're not only trained to be skeptical of everything, and to try as hard as possible to find holes, flaws, or at least gaps in any given theory, it's extremely good for your career if you can disprove or even cast doubt on a popular, widely supported paradigm.  So while I can't say that I've analyzed the data and find strong support for the anthropological climate change theory, I can say that the strong support for the anthropological climate change theory one hears from essentially *all* the people with Ph.D.s in relevant fields is the most compelling evidence a non-expert in the field could possibly use.
That had been pretty much the thrust of what I have tried to say to some of the ones I've encountered, really anywhere. It's rather stunning that these lay people can anoint themselves as quasi-climate scientists, simply because they are part of the advertising dollars for a weatherman who runs say duh....what up wit dat? dot com or similar ridiculous sites, which are merely huge sources of income for someone. And as you found, engaging anyone like this, is time you'll never get back. Best ignored IMO, and makes your life a little more peaceful! Good to hear from you Bryanc.

bryanc

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
I don't want to attribute weather to climate, but this has been the warmest fall on record in Eastern Canada, and we're still enjoying >20˚C days in the middle of October.  If this turns into a pattern, we're going to be snow free for over half the year.  This helps me justify my having purchased a motorcycle this year :)

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
I'm glad you reminded me of this article I read just this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171016-the-great-thaw-of-americas-north-is-coming

Volunteering enriches your Life.

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »
Here is another tale from Canada's north that the CBC reported on last week.

Quote from: CBCNews
In late August, the temperature of the Beaufort Sea hovers just above 10 degrees Celsius. For some people, the first steps into the water might be invigorating, but if you linger, it becomes stingingly painful — which is why Dustin Whalen came prepared with large rubber chest waders.

This was not a personal mission to dip a toe in chilly Arctic waters and come away with photographic proof. On the contrary, the federal government scientist was looking for a time-lapse camera, one of three that met a watery end by the very forces they were meant to capture: rapid erosion on what may be the world’s fastest-disappearing island.

“This is our third year trying, and as of today, this is our third year failing,” said Whalen, who works for Natural Resources Canada. “We really can’t predict just how the island will change.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/sh/Tnq3tJHEAz/disappearing-island-arctic-beaufort-sea-tuktoyaktuk/