Virtually Neighbours

• 2329 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Virtually Neighbours
« Reply #2310 on: August 12, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
We likely almost crossed paths at the airport this morning, I was sitting there in the cell phone lot waiting for one of the pickups when . you posted the above message.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 12, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
I wasn't there til 8, my flight was 9:30. A few bands and friends on the flight. Ohhh boy everyone's hepped up.

And I have two bands to play with when I land back in Toronto.. hope this old body holds out! ;)

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #2312 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
Happy Travels GT.

Celebrated my son's first birthday here. We had a very small party with grandparents a couple of friends, ordered pizza, fed him his first cake.... it seems he prefers spinach to ice cream right now but that's fine, spinach is cheaper.  ;)

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 13, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
Yes Bon voyage GT.

Sonal convey my congratulations to your little.

I heard many new mothers who, after the first birthday and have to return from "mat leave ," express their regrets as the littles are getting fun as of age one.

I hope your little has and shall remain fun for you and the dad.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 13, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
Just finished rocking a big crowd. Phew now it's another night of the Canadian who's who of rock given'r in the hotel lounge bar round two. Don't fail me now liver!

Sonal happy birthday to your little one! Amazing how time seems to fly!

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 13, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
Oh it rained last night apparently first time in a month and almost cleared all the smoke. People here are all smiles!

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »
Sounds like fun!  I arrived safe and sound and fed the masses at the opening of the field school.  Then promptly got a completely flat tire on a campsite in rural manitoulin island.  Can't win 'em all ... but I also did just spend 20 minutes staring at the zillions of stars you can see from here on a clear night.   Someone at the campground actually had a compressor and got us enough air in the tire to get back to the hotel, but I suspect it will be flat again in the morning, but much easier to take care of in the daytime at a hotel than where I was earlier tonight :) . I suspect part of tomorrow will be sending the tire off to the shop to have it repaired.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 15, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about the tire. Hope it all worked out.

I'm back now, frantically learning and hour set for tonight. Yiiiiikes.

Our slot was great. I had to really take the reins on that gig and marshall the bass player and cue everything. We nailed it all though that guy had some confused bass sliding moments :)

I needed that adventure, I'm hustling some more.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
Yep got the tire repaired without too much fuss and got it back on the vehicle.  Then had to rush my wife to the Emergency later that afternoon as she got very suddenly very very dizzy and her ears were plugged, etc.  That all worked out fine as well as it was just something that happened due to a rapid change in barometric pressure (which she is sensitive to).  She got some steroid nasal spray that is helping with that.  Today was business as usual.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 20, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
And now back from the island and into the rat race once again.  It's nice to get up there each year!

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
So yep, last week sucked.  Retired our car (that only had 160,000 km on it) -- it needed waaaaaay too much $$ to repair and was not worth spending the money on it.  The current repair would have been $3000-$4500 (rear differential and a few other less expensive bits) and we would have had to spend another $1500-$2000 before year end (full new brakes all around).   It was only 8 years old and we treated her well, but when it's time it's time. 

So after many days of research, sitting in and test driving new vehicles and then finally going for 'broke' (LOL) we 'broke' the bank and bought a new Lexus RX 350 (with the upgraded warranty).  No more toys for me for a long time because I'm now 'broke' !!  Pick it up tomorrow AM. 

This is what it looks like (not our actual car but this is the year/model/colour).

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: September 19, 2017, 08:22:14 AM »
Wow only 160k and it was time to trash it? What was it? (So I know to avoid;) )

The Lexus is an expensive purchase for sure. My matrix is now 12 years old but we still haven't broke 100k on yet, we were going to possibly head to a Subaru, but I'm also scoping out electric vehicles but I'd wait on that for a while I think. Range is starting to really improve.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 19, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
It was a Toyota Venza ... the brakes were absolutely a problem with it (4 brake jobs in 100,000 km) but the rear differential was because of a dealership's screw up, they serviced the rear diff, changed the oil in it at around 120k, which requires opening it and then redoing the seal on it which they screwed up when putting it back together as best as I can tell.   I told them twice that it sounded funny after they serviced the rear diff (each time I had it in for the next service) and asked them to check it out, both times they said it was fine.  They had all kinds of stories as to what the sound I was hearing might be (road noise, new tire noise, etc).  I even asked them to check the wheel hubs, bearings, etc because there was some kind of noise but they kept telling me it was fine.

This time when taking the car in for service I asked them to check the rear end again because it was still noisy they said that the rear diff had "developed a leak" and needed to replace the seal (about a $400 job).  Once they opened it they found out that the bearings in it where completely disintegrated and they are not replaceable ... required replacing the whole rear diff.  A new part was over $3k and a rebuilt used one was almost $2k.  They were not taking any of the blame for it (even though the mechanic told me he had never seen anything like it).  We probably drove around with no oil in the rear diff for almost 40k so it's no wonder it was shot.  After doing some research online apparently it's also really really hard on other drive train components when stuff like that happens ... so it was time to get rid of it, not to mention the fact that even though it had low mileage due to it's age we would have spent more on it in repairs this year than it was even worth ...

And you'll notice that we did not buy a car from that dealership ... big surprise.  And yes I did harass them extensively for them covering things under warranty (including taking it directly to the manager) since it was obviously their screw up and their answer was that it was out of warranty period for the service they did (even though I have been complaining to them about it since 2 weeks after they did the service).  Never again will I deal with those jokers.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 19, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Thank you for the reminder to call our mechanic - the rear differential in the Sienna (14 years old, 140K) is leaking oil! While I'll be happy to trade up at some point soon, I'd rather not wait until it's do or die! Here's hoping it's just a seal...not that those appear to be cheap either. I've been looking at the Honda CRV as a potential replacement - did you happen to drive one of those, Mark? I'm sure the Lexus is lovely...not sure I'd want to spend quite that much as we are also on the list for a Tesla 3 as our second car. No idea when that will arrive, of course... :o

BTW - who were the jokers so we know to avoid them?

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: September 19, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
I did drive a CRV. It was decent but to get the options we wanted to be comfortable it would have been quite expensive due to the package bundling that every car company does in Canada. In the US there are lots of options but here you get big bundles so if you want a single item, too bad for you. You have to buy the multi-thousand dollar pkg or do without. That's why we ended up with Lexus. It was actually cheaper b cause the base model had almost everything we wanted.

I'm hesitant to say who it was as I'm still investigating if we have options to pursue them or not ...