Apple Charging $279 USD to Repair Out-of-Warranty HomePod

• 11 Replies

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Apple Charging $279 USD to Repair Out-of-Warranty HomePod
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »
As Apple’s anticipated HomePod smart speaker system goes on sale today in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, the Cupertino company has updated its HomePod support website with out-of-warranty service pricing for the speaker.

According to Apple’s website, if a customer’s HomePod is under warranty, is covered by AppleCare+, or protected by consumer law, there is no charge to fix or replace the speaker. If the issue isn’t covered by any of the aforementioned cases, customers will have to pay an out-of-warranty service fee of $279 USD in the US, £268.44 in the United Kingdom, and $399 AUD in Australia.

If a HomePod owner needs service on his or her speaker, an appointment can be made at any Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If that isn’t possible for a customer, Apple can also send HomePod owners a box to ship their speakers to its repair center for an additional $19.95 USD, £13.44, and $29.95 AUD in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, respectively.

If one chooses to purchase AppleCare+ with his or her purchase of the smart speaker, it will run at $39 USD, extending the speaker’s coverage to two years from its original purchase date. AppleCare+ also adds up to two accidental damage incidents, each subject to another $39 USD service fee in the United States, £29 in the United Kingdom, and $55 AUD in Australia, plus the upfront cost of the plan.

AppleCare+ also allows customers an express replacement service in which Apple completely replaces the speaker in advance of the return of the non-functional unit. According to the support page, the non-functional unit must be returned within 10 days to avoid any additional charges.

Source http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple-homepod-applecare/
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Charging $279 USD to Repair Out-of-Warranty HomePod
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
And this is why HomePod Teardown

Introduction

Apple’s beloved voice assistant is back again, this time in the form of a toilet-paper roll Mac Pro wearing a jacket. Siri can now (attempt to) answer your questions with 360°, high-fidelity sound. How did Apple fit such big sound in such a small space—and what took them so long to do it? We might just have to take it apart to find out!

Complete HomePod Teardown with step by step picts at iFixit https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
Ouch ... they might as well have just sealed everything up inside permanently and called it disposable.

Sharktooth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
  It sounds like one of those last minute band-aid fixes to get it into production.   I'm guessing the glue was added since components were self-unscrewing under long term vibration testing.   Oopsie!

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
That sounds like a very likely explanation to me as well.  That would explain the big delays going into production.  I can see it now ... test the unit, it has issues, send back to the engineers, prototype, repeat over and over again until someone stepped in and said "What's the problem?  WHAT?!?!  Just glue it and put them on sale.  Problem solved."

Again I will just point out to everyone that Apple rarely gets the hardware right on the first go around.  Early adopters take their chances :D

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
That was an instructive tear-down, thanks! Very impressive how it's all put together. Scores a 1 out of 10 for repairability, eh? Sounds about right for a contemporary Apple product.

If Siri were better and if multiple HomePods could talk to each other (not yet, gotta wait!) I'd consider it.... a wee bit down the road, when Apple had improved on the first iteration of the device. But Siri seems to be losing market share in the smart home audio sweepstakes. So I'm on the fence, still.

Reminds me... I've been drawing a lot on my iPad lately and yesterday I realized I rarely use it as a musical accompaniment while I'm drawing. So I wanted to test out its speakers by playing an iTunes radio station. Well, that went nowhere fast. I got repeated nagware messages beseeching me to join the three month free trial of Apple Music. I couldn't get rid of the message unless I quit the app. Did that three times in a row. A bug or a "feature?" Wow, that was not welcome at all. Nor could I even find a digital radio station listing.... I guess the iOS version is different from OSX? In any case I actually went around iTunes altogether and chose instead a CBC music app that had tons of genre options. Apple really does bend over backward to make very simple things difficult.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
To add some cranky...

I have zero interest in another device, that is dedicated to listening to everything in my home. I suppose Apple can be more trusted in that regard compared to google, but still... no thanks.

And as for nag messages, Apple has become as bad or worse than Microsoft in this regard. I’m still being nagged weekly to upgrade to high seirra. I can’t and won’t because of my audio apps. I can’t make it go away.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
Max, there's a free app you should check out called TuneIn (if you're interested in radio).  It works very well and you get radio stations from all over the world with it.

As for voice control the Amazon Echo platform is still winning hands down for me.  The Google home stuff does better on a few things (like searching for things, big surprise) but at the end of the day I want a voice platform that can integrate with all of my stuff -- I have a pretty extensive amount of smart home controllable things.  The echo is miles ahead of everyone else for that at the moment and seem to be working really hard at making their voice interfaces much better.  For example the voice that it replies with keeps subtly changing and evolving as time goes by.  It sounds more and more natural and the adjustments that happens are very very subtle sometimes.  I get a weekly email telling me what's new with Alexa and there's always something new or added or enhanced.  I don't think that has happened with Siri for several years.

Apple has taken the buy-in-to-our-platform stuff waaaaay too far IMHO and they just refuse to take cues from the rest of the industry, they are still living in the pipe-dream that the whole device industry follows them and that's just no longer true, especially in this particular segment.

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Agreed on your take, Gerk. And yeah, I am interested in radio.... I like gentle ambient electronica when I'm designing or drawing... kind of shallow and mindless, yes but not as horribly generic as yer average Muzak track. So I'll check that out and bypass dumb old iTunes quite happily, cheers.
______

Max

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
I'm the same (except I prefer classical) when doing creative or programming work.  It's nice to have something that sort of gives you sounds and textures but doesn't distract.

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Yep... some classical I can groove to as well but I also like soundtracks. Anything that's pleasant but not too demanding of your consciousness while you surf on that sound and get your creative stuff done.
______

Max

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
I will second TuneIn radio, great App, I installed it the day I purchased my iPhone 4 (long time ago), used the free version for a few days then purchase it outright, IMHO give them the $10 it’s well worth it.

Same here, I enjoy soft background music when working, I alternate and chose what instrumental soundtrack style inspires me most at the time, keeps me relaxed and focused, I also find it prompts creativity at times.