More planned obsolescence ... Apple TV

• 2 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More planned obsolescence ... Apple TV
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
So there was a looooong awaited Apple TVOS update a short while ago that finally gives the Apple TV platform the ability to show video in 24 fps, which for those of us that are movie fans and purists have been wanting forever.  It eliminates judder and other artifacts by playing movies at their native fps instead of having to do on-the-fly adjustments (called pulldown) to adapt 24fps to 30fps.

Long story short Apple has told us that it was coming for about a year now and lo-and-behold it arrived, but ... only for the latest Apple TV 4k and it doesn't work on the previous Apple TV v4 (which is still a "supported" model).  From what everyone can figure out there's no technical reason at all why it's not possible for the hardware, but Apple decided to tie this into only working on the 4k model and specifically also only working with TV's running at 4k!  This last part honestly doesn't make much sense at all because there's really no "standard" for 2160p24 ... it's either 2160p30 or 2160p60 (30 or 60 frames per second).  Some users of other forums pointed out that you "can" play 1080p24 content, but that it's only possible on a 4k TV/projector hookup and you have to play it in 4k mode and let the ATV upscale the content to 4k.  Coming from a professional video background this makes ZERO sense in any sort of situation.

Sooo in this single bone-headed move that Apple made they have completely lied that 1080p24 was "coming" -- because it hasn't.  They have added the ability to play content in 24fps, but not natively.  This is one of the strangest updates Apple has done recently and IMHO shows exactly how clueless this new Apple is and how little they actually care about what users want.

At this point I'm going to start talking with my money and I think I'm not going to be alone in this.  Apple has lost it's path badly.  Between this sort of stuff and the whole mess that they are making with the "Pro" hardware that they pre-announced and the weird audio hardware that they seemingly can't deliver it's pretty clear, at least to me, that they are quite rudderless at the moment.

Mouse

• View Profile
Re: More planned obsolescence ... Apple TV
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
The older I get the more I'm am put in mind of a pyramid scheme.
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: More planned obsolescence ... Apple TV
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
Still rocking the appleTV 3, still works well for now, if we got a better tv like 4K etc maybe we’ll update it.