Sierra not listed?

• 10 Replies

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sierra not listed?
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »
So, if I want to upgrade a machine to Sierra but not high Sierra (which is NOT ready for prime time!) I don't see it listed.

Max

• View Profile
Re: Sierra not listed?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
Apple... what the hell are they thinking these days? Their OS strategy is opaque. I'm sure staying away from High Sierra until I hear the coast is clear. But you're saying you can't upgrade to Sierra? Isn't that par for the course these days.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
I went to see if I could at least download it, prepare to do it, and it's nowhere to be found.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
You only get to see/download previous OSes if you have already "purchased" them.  Dumbest thing ever, so unless you have already downloaded Sierra for a previous machine on your Apple ID you won't get to download it now.

EDIT:  But upon looking things up they seem to have completely removed it now even if you have "purchased" it in the past ... WTF Apple?!?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/macos-sierra-decoupled-from-apple-id/

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
If you have not downloaded previous versions of Apple OS before it got removed from the app store, it's no longer available.

That being said, Apple and it's infinate wisdom as given us this:

OS X El Capitan remains available for Mac computers that can't upgrade to macOS High Sierra, or that need to upgrade to El Capitan first

How to download OS X El Capitan https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Couple more things to keep in mind,

If your current computer can not be upgraded to the current Apple OS, Apple prevents you from downloading the OS even if it shows it's available to you in the App store, so if you figured you would accumulate previous OS then have them on hand for the futur, nada.

If you ever need to reinstall your current OS, or purchase a used computer and do not have the appropriate OS on hand, or OS of your choice on hand to installed, well! your F#$%@

Very dumb move from Apple in deed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:27:40 PM by Speckledmind »
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Sharktooth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the El Capitan link, Speckledmind.

I'm still on Snow Leopard with a 2008 Mac Pro.   I like Snow Leopard, and have no need to upgrade for the time being.    That may change when the Snow Leopard compatible web browsers stop working.   So far things seem O.K., but nobody is providing updates to these browser any more, so if they stop working you're screwed.

I have some of the newer versions of OSX that I cloned from other computers, but I don't have any of the original installer software, other than El Capitan that I just downloaded now.

The same thing happened to Power Macs about two or three years ago.   I was perfectly happy with my G5 tower until YouTube and Flash based stuff started to crap out on many sites.  The CBC and BBC sites particularly.   It's so frustrating.

On the other hand, Windows 7 still chugs along nicely with regular updates and pretty much universal software compatibility.    I've switched to Windows 7 for my laptops, since the hardware is so much cheaper, especially when buying used, and no built-in obsolescence.

The ultimate insult is that Apple supplies the latest version of iTunes for PC's going back to XP, which Microsoft no longer even supports.    That's a nice FU to Mac buyers, and pretty much typical for Apple these days.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
I guess the takeaway from all this is to make sure that you create a flash drive with every OS installer as you go along, just in case. I've been doing that for a while now, though truth be told, I've only once used the flash drives - and that was on my aunt's iMac which she'd neglected to update since 10.7.5. :p Haven't done it yet for High Sierra, so guess I should do that soonish. I can download everything back to Lion from the App store since I downloaded each of them as they became available. If anyone is in desperate need, PM me and I should be able to park the installer app file on Google Drive. The instructions for creating bootable installers are here: https://www.macworld.com/article/3092900/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

The only version of the OS that isn't listed in my purchase history is Sierra; but clicking on the link in the above article DOES take me to the download for it, so I don't know what is up with that. (GT also notes he doesn't see Sierra in his purchased list).

Sharktooth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
That link seems to work, Paddy.

I went to download Sierra, but after clicking on download I got a message saying my computer isn't compatible with Sierra (and it isn't).     I'm assuming it would have worked if I did have a compatible computer (which I don't).

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
wow, I'll check this out tomorrow, but thanks Paddy!!

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
Glad I was able to help! :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
A bit of a delay. But just checking this today, clicked on the link, and opened my app store, and... it appears ha ha I've already downloaded the installer in my applications folder ha ha.

Forgetful me.