So this happened...

• 5 Replies

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So this happened...
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
got it today, setting it up. For last couple years, my only computer MBP was hooked up to all my audio gear downstairs, while I could use it, I have to go downstairs, and if I wanted to use it up here I had to unhooked all the thunderbolt/USB blah blah everything (it was maxed out) it was kinda a pain in the ass.

I didn't need huge horsepower for a personal machine so, I got a sweet deal on a refurb june2017 MacBook air 13, i7 2.2 8gigs of ram and a 512SSD, so plenty power and man, this thing weighs, nothing. I think it was 1500 and change.I don't really miss the retina all that much really.

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: So this happened...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:45:47 AM »
Congrats  8)

Let us know how this new putter works out for you while you put it trough it's paces.
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
I won't be doing too much heavy lifting with this one really, thats what the MBP downstairs is there for if need be (and the audio of course)

It took a while for me to accept dropping to a more consumer level type machine, but things have changed for me in life in general, and I only need real power for music, the rest, I was actually for sometime surviving merely on an iPad and my iPhone. The iPad was good, but it doesn't replace a laptop for me really.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Congrats  8)

Let us know how this new putter works out for you while you put it trough it's paces.

Well, so far I can tell you, it sends email really fast! ;)

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »
I won't be doing too much heavy lifting with this one really, thats what the MBP downstairs is there for if need be (and the audio of course)

It took a while for me to accept dropping to a more consumer level type machine, but things have changed for me in life in general, and I only need real power for music, the rest, I was actually for sometime surviving merely on an iPad and my iPhone. The iPad was good, but it doesn't replace a laptop for me really.

I wouldn't so much call it a "consumer level machine" but it's definitely "ultra portable" .. but it still packs a punch (even if you are doing some semi-heavy lifting).  It's not a workstation, but it blows any of the other manufacturer "ultra portable" laptop options out of the water.

Those 13" airs are soooo nice and light, and the battery is like the energizer bunny!  Glad you got it and you're liking it. 

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
It feels like nothing. I have to remember that I did get the dual i7 2.2. My last MBP was a dual i7 it was right before they came out with the quad i7s, still ran logic well (hadn't tried pro tools) photoshop etc. it's surprising with a 512SSD and 8 gigs of ram all that power stuffed into this little slab that weighs next to nothing. Battery doesn't last quite as long as advertised, perhaps because it is a somewhat souped up air, but it is a long time. Though I was shocked how long the 15" retina lasted on battery though at 4 years old it's less so, but even that would get a good 6 hours as well.