Apple Announces iPhone 8 Event for Sept. 12 at Steve Jobs Theater

• 6 Replies

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Apple Announces iPhone 8 Event for Sept. 12 at Steve Jobs Theater
« on: September 01, 2017, 06:32:05 AM »
As expected, Apple has just officially announced its fall special event for iPhone 8, set for September 12, 2017. Members of the press began sharing images of their invites, which have a tagline “Let’s meet at our place.” (via The Loop).

The event will take place at 10AM PDT/1PM EDT, as Apple says “Please join us for the first-ever event at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino.”

As Jason Snell from Six Colors reports:

(Nerd note: This is the first Apple Event invitation to feature an automated ticket workflow. The invitation email features a click-to-RSVP link that leads to an RSVP page that, in turn, generates an Apple Wallet ticket complete with barcode.)

Apple is expected to release updated iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus models, plus an all-new iPhone 8, said to include face recognition, a new OLED display and lack a Home button. The company is also rumoured to debut Apple Watch models with LTE capabilities, plus a new 4K Apple TV.

Of course, we’ll find out release dates for final versions of iOS 11, watchOS 4, tvOS 11 and macOS 10.13, while probably hear more about HomePod.

Source http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/iphone-8-event-sept-12-steve-jobs-theater/
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Announces iPhone 8 Event for Sept. 12 at Steve Jobs Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Apple Special Event Stream page.

Join us here September 12 at 10 a.m. PDT to watch the keynote, the first-ever event at the Steve Jobs Theater.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
This is absolutely the most "meh" I've felt about an Apple event ever.  Is this the event where Apple actually gets serious about trying to compete with other manufacturers?  Or is it the event where they roll out new products with very scanty but very selectively chosen upgrades (while holding back all the good stuff to sell the next-next generation of products).  I suspect the latter.  At this point both Amazon and Google have completely destroyed them with voice recognition/interfacing and room audio players and Roku has killed them in the "attached to TV" market.  They seem to be making some sort of feeble efforts to get into the audio player market (again, they used to have these types of things but ditched them many years ago) and I'm not going to hold my breath that Siri will be learning any real new tricks in the near future. 

As usual it's "our way or the highway" when it comes to Apple products ... Now With Drag and Drop™ and Multitasking™ (welcome to Mac OS 1984 all over again) -- because you know it took them this long to figure out how to do drag and drop and multitasking on mobile devices *removes tongue from cheek*

It may have worked when the iPhone and iPad were shiny and new, but these days you actually have some competition in those markets Apple, and if you don't hike up your trousers and start actually innovating you're going to find yourself and your beloved shareholders in a heap of trouble.  Please, please, please prove me wrong Apple.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
you know I just looked. iPhone X eh? I closed the page and went on my daily business ;)

where's the excitement there once was? Is everything so crazy nuts now that nothing excites? Or is apple just becoming unimaginative?

Max

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
The X looks pretty sweet. Will I be getting one? Nope. Not even an iPhone 8. Going to sit things out for a bit. Still working with a capable enough 6S.

Didn't watch the keynote. That feels too much like worshipping at the altar. No thanks! But so far I haven't read any news summary that indicates when IOS 11 is coming. Did I miss something?
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »
I certainly won't be, I just updated my phone to a 7 not that long ago (last fall?) I only updated from the iPhone 5 because the battery was just shot. Was going to replace the battery but then I needs more storage.

The iWatch? Never been interested in it, still ain't. Just yet another device I don't need that will seem to need upgrading every couple years.