Google Lens is a powerful, AI-driven visual search app

• 7 Replies

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Google Lens is a powerful, AI-driven visual search app
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
The new algorithm knows what's in your photos.

Video: https://content.uplynk.com/d745496fe9104fc6833d9c73131bf9c0.m3u8?tc=1&exp=1495235705&rn=1.2198151336623697E8&ct=a&cid=d745496fe9104fc6833d9c73131bf9c0&rays=cdefgh&sig=eee429904f0f898040edafe54e9ff802456abb526a7d7d87b6f07d4d55623768

Google Lens is a set of vision-based computing capabilities that allows your smartphone to understand what's going on in a photo, video or live feed. For instance, point your phone at a flower and Google Lens will tell you, on the screen, which type of flower it is; or, aim the camera at a restaurant sign to see reviews and other information pop up. The new AI system is heading to Google Photos and Assistant first.

Video https://twitter.com/Google/status/864891667723300864

Google  ✔@Google
With Google Lens, your smartphone camera won’t just see what you see, but will also understand what you see to help you take action. #io17
1:13 PM - 17 May 2017

Another cool tool available in Google Lens is the ability to point your phone at a router's setting sticker and have it automatically connect to that network. In conjunction with Assistant, Google Lens also allows users to point their phone at a sign for a concert and automatically add that event to their calendars, or even purchase tickets right then and there. For your existing pics in Google Photos, activate Lens and it will offer details about what's actually in an image.

Google Lens is part of a larger focus on AI at the company.

"When we started working on search, we wanted to do it at scale," CEO Sundar Pichai said at Google's I/O developer conference today. "That's why we designed our data centers from the ground up and put a lot of effort into them. Now that we're evolving for this machine-learning and AI world, we're building what we think of as AI-first data centers."

With a foundation in Photos and Assistant, Google Lens allows users to more naturally interact with visual and audio cues on their phones. It sounds a lot like Bixby, the virtual assistant for the Galaxy S8 and S8+, though Google Lens appears to be far more advanced than Samsung's system.

Of course, Google has been building up the tech behind Lens for years. Google Goggles is a visual search app that launched in 2010, and Lens is basically a grown-up version of this program. Lens is due to launch later this year.

Source https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/17/google-lens-brings-ai-understanding-to-assistant-and-photos/

Interesting bit of technology.
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Google Lens is a powerful, AI-driven visual search app
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
Hardly cool, very scary.

What the algorithms takes from you, versus what it give you in return.

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
Hardly cool, very scary.

What the algorithms takes from you, versus what it give you in return.

Agreed.  My first thought as well.  1984-time,
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
It's been 1984 time since ... 1994 or so at least ;)  Nothing new, we might as well embrace the technology and get something creative and good out of using it (it using us?) ... lots of people freak out that I have Amazon Echo's in my house that "listen all the time" ... but if you think that's something new see my previous statement ... if the powers that be wanted to listen in they have been doing so on our smart phones for years anyway so again, why not embrace it and be able to do things when you walk into the room like:

Computer, lights!  Computer, play some smooth jazz.  (I can literally do exactly this in many rooms of my house right now, the future is NOW!)

MeAtMac DotCalm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »
If you're happy, be happy.

I prefer not.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
Yep each to their own.  I am loving the whole smart home stuff, like I say, the future is NOW!

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
It's just another straw.  The camel will never even notice it.  ;)
Volunteering enriches your Life.