Cut the cord

• 20 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cut the cord
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
No.... we probably should set that up. It was meant to be a quick, temporary thing until we got a guy in to set us up properly, and for a while, our ancient unusable satellite dish was likely higher. Adding "Call Antenna Guy" to the list.

I highly recommend these guys, they just setup my antenna and were super nice.  You definitely need to ground that antenna properly (like to a real earth ground in a power panel) -- otherwise you've just setup a lightning rod on your roof to fry all of your electronics (and possibly yourself if you're touching the electronics when it strikes!!! -- really, it's SUPER dangerous if not grounded to a proper earth ground directly).

https://twitter.com/HomeTechExperts
https://www.hometechexperts.ca/

Also the trick to getting more channels if you're in Toronto and have a reasonable antenna is to point your antenna directly at Buffalo.  When you're close enough to the CN tower you will get those channels even if your antenna is not pointed directly at it, but you get a whole bunch of additional channels from across the lake.  I guess it depends on your antenna and height, etc.  Sergey (the installer) was super nice and very knowledgable about that stuff and did a great job here, and I'm very fussy when it comes to trades.  He made my good list :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
+1 on the pointing to buffalo trick. I'm directly north a wee bit to the west of the CN tower, and that's exactly what I did. There is a sweet spot.

Thx for the recommendation I will consider those guys. I'm really ready to cut that chord soon.

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
And I must make a list.
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation!

Our intention was to point to Buffalo, but we basically asked the guy who was repairing our chimney to bolt it on and point it.... so it's not quite there. We get a few Buffalo stations in well, but I suspect we can do a bit better.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
With a reasonably new smart phone with a digital compass it's pretty easy to point these days, you can even just zoom things out to the point where you can just see buffalo on an interactive map ... not like the "old" days when I remember having to get out my navigators compass and do a bunch of math to figure out where to point.

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Eight months and now we are into the summer garbage time. Missing  it less and less as time goes by.

Did catch the last period of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and have found a back door to watch CFL games, should the spirit move me.