Cut the cord

• 30 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cut the cord
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
No.... we probably should set that up. It was meant to be a quick, temporary thing until we got a guy in to set us up properly, and for a while, our ancient unusable satellite dish was likely higher. Adding "Call Antenna Guy" to the list.

I highly recommend these guys, they just setup my antenna and were super nice.  You definitely need to ground that antenna properly (like to a real earth ground in a power panel) -- otherwise you've just setup a lightning rod on your roof to fry all of your electronics (and possibly yourself if you're touching the electronics when it strikes!!! -- really, it's SUPER dangerous if not grounded to a proper earth ground directly).

https://twitter.com/HomeTechExperts
https://www.hometechexperts.ca/

Also the trick to getting more channels if you're in Toronto and have a reasonable antenna is to point your antenna directly at Buffalo.  When you're close enough to the CN tower you will get those channels even if your antenna is not pointed directly at it, but you get a whole bunch of additional channels from across the lake.  I guess it depends on your antenna and height, etc.  Sergey (the installer) was super nice and very knowledgable about that stuff and did a great job here, and I'm very fussy when it comes to trades.  He made my good list :)

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
+1 on the pointing to buffalo trick. I'm directly north a wee bit to the west of the CN tower, and that's exactly what I did. There is a sweet spot.

Thx for the recommendation I will consider those guys. I'm really ready to cut that chord soon.

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
And I must make a list.
Volunteering enriches your Life.

Sonal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My creative writing blog
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation!

Our intention was to point to Buffalo, but we basically asked the guy who was repairing our chimney to bolt it on and point it.... so it's not quite there. We get a few Buffalo stations in well, but I suspect we can do a bit better.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
With a reasonably new smart phone with a digital compass it's pretty easy to point these days, you can even just zoom things out to the point where you can just see buffalo on an interactive map ... not like the "old" days when I remember having to get out my navigators compass and do a bunch of math to figure out where to point.

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Eight months and now we are into the summer garbage time. Missing  it less and less as time goes by.

Did catch the last period of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and have found a back door to watch CFL games, should the spirit move me.

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »
Been a year now, and I can honestly say I do not miss it in the slightest. If I can do it in an area with no OTA, should be a cinch for those who are not so handicapped.

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
News Flash, I joined the club and Cut the Cord.

Videotron (which provides my Internet, was for basic cable) sent me a letter this past Friday witch stated my services where to have a price increase of $8/month, I responded by calling them yesterday morning.

Videotron: Good morning, my name is … how can I help you?

Me: Good morning, I received a letter from Videotron saying you where increasing my bill by $8/month for my current services is that correct?

Videotron: yes Sir.

Me: I vote with my dollars, that said, and with all due respect, this is in no way meant or aimed at you personally, “it takes a special kind of stupid to send a price increase at large (province wide) for an outdated services while the hottest subject of the hour is to cut the cord”, he laughed is ass off ;)

Videotron: I understand, well Sir, let’s see if i can help you.

Me: you sure can, ”Cut the Cord”, we had a great conversation, excellent service, the guy was on the ball and up to par with what I was saying, he knows what’s going on in the real world.

Been thinking about this during the past year, that letter for an increase just made my decision swift, never been a fan of the BoooB Tube (la boite a grimasses), so! I am happy to say that I have cut all connections from the outside world in regards to Television.

Makes room to add more art, culture, music, writing, drawing, reading, Zen time, outdoor time etc... it’s grand time to enjoy life in a more humaine way. So! bye bye “la boite a grimasses” I was never a fan, and I do vote with my dollars.

Figured while I’m there, I squeezed them for everything I could get to save on my existing Internet connection bill, told them i had a lot of companies knocking on my door wanting to sell me Internet at half the price they charge, and those third party make money, so imagine how geedy Videotron is, he knew, end result I saved $55 a month from my existing bill, great success! :)

Now it’s time to look for other options, like walk to the local library if I want some movies, until I can hunt some down in garage sales.

I have a back up plan don’t worry, instead of opening the TV at channel 553 on evening, because that’s what i did if I did not watch a movie in late pm, I now plug in the DvD rescue plan lol Edit. forgot to mention my fireplace DvD has two options, cracking fire or xmas music, I'm set  8)

It feels liberating!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:42:25 AM by Speckledmind »
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »
Congrats! We still have cable internet (Tekksavvy) but we abandoned cable TV maybe five years ago now and have had zero regrets. Can't say I miss Rogers and its unwieldy cable bundles either. What a crock that's always been. What is it about Canada and telecom that we've been so routinely hosed over the years?

Next up: convincing my wife we don't need Crave or Netflix. Well, maybe keep one of 'em. We do have our guilty pleasures. Still, a good friend up the street swears by the local library for renting DVDs and e-books too... as long as you're patient there's a huge back catalogue of stuff to discover.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
We’re lazy, we haven’t cut the cord. Wife loves cable and the pvr, I told her now there are good pvr options for OTA now. I admit, I’ve had a lot on my plate and having been very ill for months now I haven’t done anything on it. But perhaps I will soon! Looking at our cable bill it’s motivating me. What do you pay teksavvy max? And what is it to switch I had heard there’s downtime doing that.

Max

• View Profile
    • maxmacdonald.art
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
No downtime, Groove, whatsoever. And it's been cheaper than when we were on Rogers, that's all I can say. And no monthly data caps, unlike our old Rogers plan. I'd have to dig up our bills to see what the tally is, but so far I've been very satisfied. Pretty rock-solid service and it's just worked. It's probably still too much for relatively decent and reliable internet access, but this is Canada, where the end customer can expect to be hosed.

Best check out what the stakes are now; I'm pretty hazy on what's out there these days. All I know is that, having tried both Sympatico and Rogers over the last 15 years or so, I'm a big fan of neither.
______

Max

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »
Thanks. My fear here is cable is a bit dodgy on this street, it works but it has issues, a reseller may be even less inclined to fix things. People on this street are hell because they just reran all fibre or whatever it is new, and the service is apparently great but I hate bell even more. Hmmm.

Speckledmind

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
Coincidence or price fixing? Rogers to Increase All Internet Packages Above 20Mbps by $8/Month Starting March https://www.macdiscussion.com/index.php/topic,1308.0.html
"It's the possibilities that keeps me going, not the guarantee"

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
They are all bracing themselves (and padding their accounts) to pay for that FairPlay crap that everyone is trying to force in (that will be a farce)!  $8 is a round number, it's not yet $10 but it's much more than $5.

Sadly I had to go in the opposite direction here, we have OTA AND cable TV as my in-laws just refuse to give up on it.  I have a TV in my kitchen that runs all day long at full volume on CP24 (it's actually got burn in on the screen from the pure white CP24 uses).  It's always at full volume because my father-in-law insists that it's very important to have news running 24/7 at a volume that you can hear throughout the house because you need to stay on top of things in case there is breaking news ... meanwhile he's got a radio running 680AM in his office upstairs even louder (through semi-large stereo speakers).

I've learned to just tune out.  I record most of what I want to watch OTA or with pvr.  I record all the OTA stuff with a dual tuner SiliconDust box and a good antenna on my roof all hooked up through Plex.  Works remarkably well.

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
Volunteering enriches your Life.