News:

Now proudly hosted in Canada!

Author Topic: Text Browsing to Reduce Data Use  (Read 288 times)

• No avatar
January 11, 2017, 10:43:47 PM
For a bit of history, I use my phone rarely, so only have pay-as-you-go with Rogers.    If free WiFi is available, I might do some web browsing if I need to get some info quickly.
I discovered earlier this year that Rogers has pay-as-you-go data too.   The cheapest is $1 for one day, or 10MB, whatever comes first.   10MB will be used up in a few minutes if you go to sites with a lot of image content.   It would be ideal if you could just do text browsing for basic info in a pinch.

I've used iCab on my older PowerPC Macs on dial-up, since you can block images.   It allows faster browsing on dial-up.

The older versions of IOS don't have image blocking in Safari, but iCab has a mobile version of their web browser that does.   I've used it a few times now, and it really has much more capability than Safari.   Image blocking is just one of the many features.   10MB lasts a reasonable amount of time if you're just doing text browsing.   Better than sliced bread for the el-cheapo set.

Just my 2 cents (which rounds to nothing now)

January 12, 2017, 04:49:58 PM
Not a bad idea, often I'm surfing news, information that I only need text, and all the images and ads are really, just problems.

So this is a browser for iOS? ICab? I'll have to look into this!

• No avatar
January 13, 2017, 06:55:48 AM
Yes, the iCab mobile version is available thru iTunes for iPhone or iPad.   There's also a regular version for Macs available from their site.  I think it's icab.de

The Mac iCab versions cover older versions of OSX, and he even has versions that work with PPC Macs, as well as classic Mac OS's such as OS9 and earlier.

The browser is full featured, and can be used instead of Safari.   The text browsing feature is set in preferences, so it can be turned off or on.

January 13, 2017, 05:59:49 PM
iCab was a saviour back in the dial-up days. Made a lot of sites readable and believe me even back then in text browsing mode, ads were almost non-existent (even without an ad blocker).

January 16, 2017, 08:31:14 PM
Running it now, its lightening fast without graphics, but can be challenging in some cases but it's a good choice especially when you're trying to look something up and those horrible 'you may also like plus ads fill up the page.