News:

Now proudly hosted in Canada!

Author Topic: Musical Equipment  (Read 37877 times)

March 17, 2017, 08:29:38 PM
I heard about some gretches that literally the plies unglued and became completely unsalvagable. I found that wild since no gretch I've seen even super old looked close to that. But I have seen some drums look pretty sad. I had a set of yamahas I bought in 86, those poor things got dragged across the country many many times and saw a lot of 7nighter work with not the best of cases, those things did fall apart literally. Drums I'm not sure I'd drag around like that would be ayottes, those newer tama starclassics (those looks sooo delicate! Which is odd given the earlier tama stuff (superstars? Loved those!!) were strong I thought. And some
Of the later model stuff from ludwig, slingerlands (rip), DW (hate DW!) and many of those that started using thin Keller shells and cheap ass hardware.

I wouldn't toss my prolites around too hard either, the shells are beauty but they are thin maple with rerings, unlike their earlier thicker beech stuff. I'd like to get one of those to slag around town.

The ludwigs are tanks. They're mint and they've across sea to shiny sea many many times and weather hot temps as well as the frigid temps of fort mcmurry and further north on winter tours (the ones where the crew bans you from
Touching your gear for an hour or two because it's in a deep freeze). They've survived very well.

Drummers aren't like guitars, I only brought in snares and lately my samplers but never brought in drumkits into hotels. Though I've heard some do this???

Kids...

March 17, 2017, 09:49:42 PM
Ha!!! Funny shit!

Ok lemme think ... Yep have seen some Gretsch that have literally exploded ... nice drums, jasper shells but not my faves.  A 1lot of shit really is delicate!!!!

Forget DW - have played a lot never owned them ... pass.

The old Beech were amazing - no idea what I never bought a set??? The Rosewoods - like Dejohnette plays they are the ones!!!

Luds generally are tanks - oval tanks, yeah, but tanks!!!! LOL

The Premiers I toured all over NA and Europe - man if it wasn't for packing tape and duct tape ... f**k like using a Stradivarius for batting practice!!!!

And if I start bringing drums into hotels? Shoot me!

Yep, been here way before all y'all ...

March 17, 2017, 11:18:12 PM
Lol at oval ludwigs. They did have a tendency to be slightly out of round.

March 17, 2017, 11:31:46 PM
Grab an Ambassador ... kneel on drum....

All good!!!

OUTAHERE

Nite
Yep, been here way before all y'all ...

March 18, 2017, 01:45:31 PM
quite right...

March 18, 2017, 01:47:08 PM
not sure why anyone would use anything but coated ambassadors on these drums.

Though I did a canadian tour years ago where the tour manager/FOH guy we had whined endlessly until I relented and put pinstripes on for him.

Wanker.

March 27, 2017, 10:33:57 PM
Curiosity. When it comes to phase flipping, the two mins I have on the bass drum, some setups, it's clearly in phase, but the positioning I'm using right now, it's not s clear. I stretched out the wave to look, and it looks like some of it is in phase. But not all. So, I went to listening and, the difference, is volume seems to be the same. But when I put them out of phase, the low end seems a bit deeper. But not louder or anything. I know with the top/bottom snare mic, it was far more clear. My gut says, flip the phase and go with it, but wondered what experiences were. I know, subjective, and all that.

March 27, 2017, 10:49:44 PM
That's a distance/time alignment situation, not so much a direct out of phase situation (like the snare top and bottom are -- the mics are physically pointing in different directions).  This can be funky to sort out but a couple of tips:  change the mic position (closer or further) until it sounds like it pulls it in (hard to do by yourself, easier if you can get someone to move the mic while you're listening in isolation).  Another way to do it is to nudge the track with the further mic one way or the other until it feels like it lines up better which doesn't always work but when it does you'll hear it right away.

The issue with using alternate phase on something that's not out of phase when you have a whole bunch of mics in closer proximity is that it can give you some very strange results where you least expect it .. like turn up the kick mic and have the tone of the OHs change, etc.  Sometimes it's not that obvious until you get further into the mix and start to do some more serious compression or other things that alter the sound in different ways.

My best advice is don't flip the phase on anything that's not completely out of phase in a physical sense unless it's a last resort sort of situation**.  I'm sure you will find other pros that are the complete opposite opinion as well.  This is probably one of "those things" but at least from a mathematical standpoint alone you're definitely introducing some chaos into the equation :)

EDIT:  ** on a drum set with a bunch of mics in close proximity, doing it on other one mic tracks can be fun and wonderful :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:56:07 PM by Gerk »

March 28, 2017, 10:45:15 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks. This two mic thing on the bass drum, has proven to be a little more complicated than I thought. If I place the 52 just inside the hole and the RE20 right at the head, it seems less funky. Where things get weird is when I pull the RE20 back from the front head. I tried the mic deep in and mic on reso, both switched as well, it gets a bit more tone with the RE20 inside, but then lacks punch, same with the mics revered. The biggest pow is the 52 right inside the hole. I want to try miccing the other bass drums and see if this is a prolite specific thing, my guess is yes. I'm looking still for a certain something that RE20 on the front isn't quite giving me.

March 28, 2017, 02:00:59 PM
Have you tried the blanket technique yet?

Shows you OH alignment (which might not be a bad thing to check out -- but if it's an issue I would suggest moving the OH mics as opposed to time aligning always).

March 28, 2017, 02:08:38 PM
And lastly ... I don't just outright suggest you get this but if you start getting into this level of tweaking UAD has pretty much the best tool for this -- I own it and use it all the time on multi-mic setups, but beware, it can open a whole other can of worms if you overdo it or do too much without knowing the consequences...

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/special-processing/little-labs-ibp.html

March 28, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
Not used the blanket but I may next. I don't have a blanket but I do have a thick big piece of hi-density acoustic foam that may do in a pinch.

I'll look later at this stuff.

March 28, 2017, 05:15:15 PM
thx for posting that stuff. Things were a bit simpler at one point and now I'm taking things up a notch but it's also a notch above my experience.

I know the sound I want...