Today's MacOS failure

• 9 Replies

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Today's MacOS failure
« on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
I thought it would be good to have a thread to bitch about the things that are supposed to work and don't.  It's pretty obvious that Apple is just pushing things out the door these days with pretty minimal commitment to things actually working as advertised, at least in the lower levels of the OS (i.e. the things that only geeks do).

So to get things started out I'd like to complain about Disk Utility.  What was once a shining star in the geek world is now a complete and utter waste of time.  I've had major issues with the "new" version of Disk Utility (i.e. the one where they took away everything and just made big buttons out of things).  It more-often-than-not is unable to manipulate partitions on drives (thanks to the hidden recovery partition that Apple usually puts in the worst possible spot on a drive and DU can't manipulate and/or touch), it also just flat-out fails when trying to make a partition on a new drive using the "Partition" option -- apparently you have to use the "Format" option to do that now ... but here's the icing on the cake for me.

It is completely unable to make MOST kinds of blank disk images.  In my case right now I just confirmed it on no less than 3 separate systems running the latest and greatest updates of Sierra.  It was completely unable to make a "CD Master" image (which the rest of the world knows as an ISO).  It fails with "status 22" (which apparently means nothing to anyone outside of Apple).  Disk Utility works fine if you do it making an image from a folder, but apparently blank images (of just about any kind) are out of the question.  The more frustrating thing is that doing it via the command line works fine, the same way as it always has (using hdiutil) -- so WTF is Disk Utility trying to do that fails ... guess we'll never know.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Today's MacOS failure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
And here's one for the "Department of Redundancy Department" ... you just can't make this stuff up.

Step one:  Select "Connect to Server" from the Go menu in finder and type in the server type and address
Step Two:  Press Connect
Step Three:  Press Connect (again) on the redundant dialog

iBear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
In El Capitain I use screen captures a lot in relaying information. Many in my work group use Winblose and cannot open PNG files directly (why is that) so I open screen captures in Preview and save as PDF. EVERY time it rotates the page 90 degrees WTF. Reopen, rotate and save.
Longtime GTA and Mac user

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
Ah the rotate thing. I have been the butt of jokes about my upside down or backwards pictures.

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
In El Capitain I use screen captures a lot in relaying information. Many in my work group use Winblose and cannot open PNG files directly (why is that) so I open screen captures in Preview and save as PDF. EVERY time it rotates the page 90 degrees WTF. Reopen, rotate and save.

That one does sound annoying :/

RTM

• Red Tape Mummy from the digs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 12:49:03 AM »

I am able to replicate the bug. What does work is exporting from Preview as a jpeg.

iBear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
Never thought of JPG - will have to fire up Winbloze and see if it is clearer than PDF.  Must be old school (I am!) JPG means photo to me on first thought, which of course it is.
Longtime GTA and Mac user

Gerk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
PDF will definitely have less artifacts but it depends on what you're doing with them in the end I suppose.

Groovetube

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
not necessarily it depends on what kind of pdf, hi-res? I've seen a lot of lo-fi PDFs, and have had people tell me to make them into hi-res PDFs or print quality stuff. Compression in those files is the killer, and people who don't work with them a lot have a hard time dealing with quality.

Once you compress anything or drop the resolution, there just ain't no going' back.

Windows should be able to open PNG files, perhaps some may have trouble with PNG-24 or (gulp) 32 files. There are different PNG files and it's been a while since I've used windows, but PNG files 24 or lower should work as it's now becoming more of a standard on websites.

Paddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
Curious about the image rotation in Preview when exported to PDF, I too was able to duplicate it - and I'm using El Cap on my iMac. So...tried something. Instead of exporting to PDF in Preview, I chose print - which, btw, showed it rotated by default, clicked on show details, selected landscape view, which rotated it back to the correct orientation and then selected save as PDF in the PDF dropdown. Voila.

Yeah...it shouldn't be necessary. But slightly easier than reopening and re-saving, I guess. Maybe. :p

I rarely, if ever, use Preview as I have the full version of Acrobat for anything PDF-related and just open all images in Photoshop. However, as my stand-alone version of Acrobat is getting a little long in the tooth and since I'm damned if I'll pay $700 for the newer one, nor will I "rent" my software, I'm looking at viable alternatives. Preview isn't in the running, as it's pretty limited. Am looking at PDF Expert, which is getting raves, and at PDFPen Pro. I suspect that PDFPen Pro will be the way to go, since I need to be able to create fillable forms and fun stuff like that which I don't think PDF Expert does. (I'm downloading the trial versions to find out what each does...)